too much meat?

Started by dogbreath, September 14, 2010, 01:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogbreath

I have a 6 rack digital with a homemade PID controller (+or- 2 degrees). I tried 8 racks of ribs last week. I cut the racks 2/3rds length so two fit on a tray with the 4 each short ends on two other trays. I rotated the trays every 90 minutes. The thermometer I have near the bottom registered 230 all the way, but the one near the top never got above 180. After 6 hours I took the ribs out (not tender) because I thought they were going to turn to jerky. I plan to finish them on the grill this weekend when they'll be eaten.

Anyway, my question is "is there a limit to how much can go in the smoker?" I thought that maybe that many ribs limited the air moving up through the trays, or that I just don't have enough watts to keep the heat going up through the smoker. As far as weight, I've cooked more mass than that when I've done briskets or butts, but they don't have all the surface area like the ribs do to block the flow. I did leave the smoke generator on all the time for extra heat. Or, did I just not have enough patience?

Thanks, Dan

Habanero Smoker

I rarely smoke/cook baby backs, I'm a spare rib guy so I can't tell you if you should have left them in the smoker longer. But if it is a airflow problem using foil in the late stages would have caused additional problems.

From reading your post, there are a few variables that could have influenced the range in temperature. First the placement of the top probe is important; if it is too close to the meat you will get a low reading. Many members place two BB ribs on each rack. The size of the load is a factor, and may have had some airflow restriction, I don't feel that it would be that much. But as you mentioned that is a lot of surface space, and more moisture will be produced in your cabinet. What was your vent setting?

Opening the door every 90 minutes with this large of a load would definitely effect the overall temperature variation of the cabinet; especially the six rack.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

dogbreath

You're probably right...I got to thinking about all this long AFTER I had stopped the smoke. I think they'll be okay finished on the grill, and they did taste good...they just weren't tender yet.  I leave the vent at about half most of the time...opened it up all the way after about 4 hours when I wasn't making progress. I didn't use any foil.

Dan

FLBentRider

I would concur with Habs analysis.

I have done large loads like that in my 4-rack (six racks of Baby backs or spare ribs)

The lower racks are going to cook faster than the top ones, I try to only rotate once every three hours.

That size load is going to take about 8 hours to get tender.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!