A "Texas Red" Chili Experiment

Started by ArnieM, September 17, 2010, 08:54:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

The 'experiment' part was the use of my fairly new Fagor 3 in 1 pressure cooker.

The ingredients start with about a 4 pound hunk of CAB chuck roast from the butcher.

The chuck was cubed up.  I set the cooker to brown and browned up the meat in three batches, then drained.

One each jalapeno and cayenne pepper finely chopped went into the pot for a few minutes.

Put the beef back in along with a 15 ounce can of tomato sauce and a refill of the can with water.

The dry ingredients were (mostly Penzey's):

2 TBS Ancho powder
1 TBS ground  Cumin
1 TBS minced dried garlic
1 TBS minced dried toasted onion
1 TBS Spanish paprika
1.5 TBS Turmeric
1 tsp dried oregano

The above got mixed in a bowl.  Added about half of it.  Put the lid on and set the cooker for 30 minutes at pressure cook, low.

I let the cooker cool down for about 10 minutes.

Added the rest of the dry ingredients along with a scant teaspoon of salt and fresh ground black pepper.

The lid went back on, set to pressure cook, high, for 20 minutes.  Again, let it cool down some on its own.  The steam release scares the cats.  ;D

Removed the lid and put the unit back on brown to reduce the liquid some.  Meanwhile, opened a can of pinto beans, dumped them into a bowl and added some spices.  They went into the nuker.

Here's the finished product; a little shredded cheese and sour cream on top.

I was very pleased with the result.  If we weren't having company, I would have went heavier on the peppers.  As is proper for a Texas Red, the only thing visible was the meat.  The beef pretty much just dissolved in my mouth.

This recipe is a keeper.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

Quote from: ArnieM on September 17, 2010, 08:54:07 AM

As is proper for a Texas Red, the only thing visible was the meat. 

Done my heart up good! 

Looks mighty tasty Arnie!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

JerkyAddict

Arnie, I've been doing chili in the pressure cooker for years, but never thought about rebrowning to reduce the liquid. Thanks for the hint that will be used from here out.

squirtthecat

deb415611

Tenpoint5

Looks really good Arnie, especially since the weather has changed and it is now chili season in my neck of the woods.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

It was a little mild for me but still tasted good.  The beef, good to start with, came out really well.  Next time, more peppers.

My wife's friend Julie is here again.  She's a great Italian cook.  She wants to make meatballs.

So, I took a sample of the chili to the butcher.  I got another 1.8 pounds of CAB chuck roast on the cheap.

I'll double grind the meat.  It should be interesting.  I can get to relax for a while again.  ;D
-- Arnie

KyNola

Arnie,
Is that the same Julie who's undies were seen hanging from the ceiling fan?  If so, yeah relax. ;) :D

ArnieM

Quote from: KyNola on September 17, 2010, 01:56:24 PM
Arnie,
Is that the same Julie who's undies were seen hanging from the ceiling fan?  If so, yeah relax. ;) :D

No comment.
-- Arnie

BuyLowSellHigh

Another impressive feast, Arnie!  Outstanding.  That CAB chuck looked great to begin, but the chili looks spectacular.

If Julie's back in town Arnie's hoping for another dark & stormy night complete with power failure.  If that isn't in the cards I'm sure he can figure out something with the circuit breaker box.   ;D
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

FLBentRider

Quote from: KyNola on September 17, 2010, 01:56:24 PM
Arnie,

Wow. Orange G-strings and now THIS?

::)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

The beef was top notch and that helps to make a good chili.  I was fresh out of Armadillo.

No, that wasn't a G-String.  I'll just leave it at that before I get into REAL trouble  ;D
-- Arnie