Started by Tenpoint5, September 17, 2010, 11:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Or as the say

HAMZI-WA

Oh no there goes Des Moinezzzz

Hamzilla's late cousin.

BuyLowSellHigh

I think we need a sister cook of  ... King Butt.  Then we would have the makings for a classic two-way sequel  King Butt vs. Hamzilla.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Tenpoint5

HAMZILLA IS DONE!!!! It only took 38 1/2 hours in the smoker. It probably would have been done in 36 but there was a little operator error involved. Some Bonehead didn't put enough time on the PID to complete the ham. So it shut off. This was not a bad thing since I was checking temps every hour so I caught it after about 15 minutes. I reset the timer and the temp and went back into the house for another hour. When I came back out to check the temps the PID was still beeping at me saying it had ended. My IT had dropped from 145 to 142º. Needless to say I had forgot to shut it off and restart the program. While talking with Nepas on the phone he mentioned that he had heard some cussing this afternoon all the way over in PA. I apologized. Once everything got reset and fired back up it took forever to get to 152º. Once it did this is what I found  and brought into the house at 7:30pm.

I was being hounded on by 3 boys that they was hungry. So I busted out the Pirate Knife and sliced off the bottom butt end and cut it up for them to eat. I am overly critical of my hams and I can taste the sharp bitter creosote taste on the outer rind of the ham. So I will not brag that this is the best tasting thing I have ever tasted yet. Hamzilla is wrapped in plastic wrap and resting overnight in the fridge. I will slice it tomorrow morning after I take the kids to school. This resting period will allow the creosote flavor to diminish if not completely disappear. The part that I was tasting was directly over the smoke generator. Here is what it looked like with about 3/4 of an inch of the butt end sliced off.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

seemore

thank you chris you did good job ................
great looking ham :o :o :o
seemore

GusRobin

well it looks good -- 38 hrs  whew
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

punchlock

Wow that is beautiful, that was one marathon cook!

classicrockgriller

Thought I heard you down here in Texas too.

Nice smoke and a beautiful Hamzilla.

deb415611

squirtthecat

KevinG

That ham looks awesome. If it's anything like my javelina, that taste will definately diminish and come out mouth watering.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KevinG on September 27, 2010, 05:08:02 AM
That ham looks awesome. If it's anything like my javelina, that taste will definately diminish and come out mouth watering.
I didn't load Hamzilla with Gun Powder and Nuclear residue like you did the Javalina!!! ;D ;D ;D I am not worried it was only a very slight taste because I was being overly critical. I didn't even notice it on the small pieces left over from feeding the yardapes that I stuck in the fridge.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SouthernSmoked

AWESOME!!

Chris that is a work of art...

Beautiful!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

kinyo

NePaSmoKer

I'm almost home dad, Dont eat HAMZILLA without me  ;D

Looks great Chris

FLBentRider

Wow Chris - that ham looks awesome.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!