Jerky question

Started by HCT, June 27, 2005, 08:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

When I make jerky in the dehydrator, I don't add the curing salt.
Now, when I make the brine now, am I supposed to and if so, how muck. Do I inject it too.?

I Share my life with 6 labradors. Who could ask for more?

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

jon s smokhouse

When I make beef jerky the cure is not injected but the meat is covered with the mix and allowed to cure for at least 12 hours (I allow 24 hours in the salt mix). Then I rinse the salt off the meat and make up a brown sugar solution and let the meat soak in there for 12 hours before smoking.

I don't know if this will work in a dehydrator but it's up to you to give it try.

Oldman

Greeting Jon, and welcome to the forums.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

jon s smokhouse

thank you oldman glad to be here...

jaeger

Mickey,
My suggestion, try a batch half each way. See what you come up with. Check the color and taste to see what you like best. The half that you make using the cure should come out more of a reddish color. (I always use cure when I make Jerky)
I would suggest you follow the same prep procedure exactly as you have in the past when you made jerky in your dehydrator. If you didn't rinse it before, don't rinse it now. It just depends on what your recipe calls for![;)]

By the way Mickey, how are the Labs doing. I have my third lab right now. I sprung him from the joint (humane society) a year ago, and he has had a smile on his face ever since!!! You should have seen him when he marched into my backyard for the first time. It was like, whooooo.....  [:D][:D][:D]

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

HCT

So if it's not broke, don't fix it. Thanks Doug.
My first 2 labs I bought, second 2 I got from the owners the other 2 I drove to Ohio from Ct. on Thanksgiving 2 years ago, they were to be put down the next day.

I Share my life with 6 labradors. Who could ask for more?

God bless our wildlife!
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Jon . . . kep sharing your thoughts with us

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

jon s smokhouse