• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smokin Split Chicken

Started by DADAKOTA, September 20, 2010, 11:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DADAKOTA

Gonna smoke a split chicken this afternoon.  Plan on using a cabinet temp of 250, smoke for 2 1/2  to 3 hours and looking for an IT of 165.  Two questions.  What would be my best puck to use Cherry, Apple, of Hickory?  How long should this split chicken take?  Thanks for the input.

FLBentRider

Use any wood you like. I like Hickory on Chicken, some think it is a little strong. Poultry is like a smoke sponge.

Keep the vent wide open.

A split bird - depending on size and the temp it is when it goes in the smoker - should take about 4 hours or less.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

I prefer apple but to each their own.  I usually take it out before it's done and drop it on the grill to finish it off and crisp it.  Sauce it if you like.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

I prefer hickory over apple but have certainly used both.  FLBR has given you some real good information.  Keep that vent wide open and poultry is a smoke sponge. Might not need a whole 3 hours of Bradley smoke on a single chicken. 

DADAKOTA

Decided to get it started at 2:30.  Went with comb of apple and cherry.  I am going with 2 hours 40 minutes in smoke.  As usual you all have the answers.  Thanks again for the help.

SouthernSmoked

I like Apple or Hickory on chicken.

Enjoy!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

ArnieM

Quote from: DADAKOTA on September 20, 2010, 12:38:58 PM

As usual you all have the answers.  Thanks again for the help.

No, as usual we all have opinions.  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DADAKOTA

At the 3 hour mark I checked the IT and was shocked to see it pushing 190.  Cabinet never got above 250 degrees.  Was really afraid I ruined the chicken.  Wrapped it in foil and kept it warm for 30 minutes in the smoker.  At dinner time it was really nice and moist and quite flavorful.  Probably try it with Hickory next time. 

squirtthecat

What did you use to check the temp?  You might have touched a bone, or pushed into a bit of fat or something for that high reading..

Glad it turned out great for you!

DADAKOTA

I used an instant thermometer (6 sec) Checked the thigh first and then the thickest part of the breast.