Will have too much beef jerky to smoke, storage options?

Started by chiroken, September 23, 2010, 12:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chiroken

Hello again! Got 9 lbs of round roast marinating as I speak and I know I won't get it all into my 4 rack (8racks total) smoker. I want to know just how much full is full. Can I put the extra into a zip loc bag and freeze until next time? Too easy? Will meat still absorb flavour while frozen (ie. will the flavour be alot stronger when thawed and smoked later?)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

FLBentRider

I've left jerky in the cure for a week, it did not seem to mind.

I guess you could freeze it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RAF128

I've go jerky racks but rarely use them except when doing jerky from Ground meat.    I've got a bunch of skewers and I put the jerky on them.   I support the skewers between lengths of doweling that go on the side supports.   You can hang a lot more jerkey this way than you can put on racks.   You have to be careful the pieces don't touch each other.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: chiroken on September 23, 2010, 12:43:39 PM
Hello again! Got 9 lbs of round roast marinating as I speak and I know I won't get it all into my 4 rack (8racks total) smoker. I want to know just how much full is full. Can I put the extra into a zip loc bag and freeze until next time? Too easy? Will meat still absorb flavour while frozen (ie. will the flavour be alot stronger when thawed and smoked later?)

Yes you can freeze it and smoke/dehydrate later.

chiroken

Thanks everyone, will see tomorrow how many pounds I can fit onto 8 racks (based on the thickness).
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

chiroken

About 5.5lbs is all I could fit on 8 racks, was hoping for more!

Oysterhog

If you slice it 1/4" across the grain, it should all fit. I have no problem fitting 6 lbs on 4 racks.