First Smoke - Turkey Breast

Started by Rckcrwlr, September 24, 2010, 11:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rckcrwlr

I am about two hours away from doing my first smoke.  Stopped at my local butcher yesterday to pick one up.  They didn't have one but hooked me up with a bone in breast and I de-boned it.  Used a mixture of Brown Sugar, Thyme, Salt and Pepper.  Added some on the inside before socking it, then rubbed the rest on the outside.  Sitting in a plastic back since last night.

Saw a couple people make a Syrup glaze...may have to try that.

I am going to use Hickory (6 pucks) for 2.5 hours at 250 degrees.  Does that sound about right?

Looking to carve it up by 6pm so will start at about 3pm.

Rckcrwlr

So it was a 3.5# Boneless Turkey Breast. I smoked it with Hickory at 220 degrees for 2 hours and then finished at 280 degrees for one hour. Pulled it out with an Internal Temp (IT) at 157 degrees. Wrapped it in foil, then a towel and stuck it in a cooler for 20 mins. IT went up to 168 degrees.

Here is what it looked like

Started carving

It was fantastic. Cannot wait until today to put it on my slicer and get some thin slices.

FLBentRider

Nice looking (turkey) breast you have there.

How was the taste?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Rckcrwlr

I was worried about the Hickory being too strong from reading on here, especially for the family.  They loved it.  The smoke was there but not like you were sucking on burnt wood.

I would like to try apple or cherry on a Turkey Breast next.

Very happy with it.

Starting the pork butts in 10 hours... 

Tenpoint5

The mini boulder bird looks like it turned out great. The family enjoyed it, that's all that matters. Your going to really enjoy the Boston Butts/Pulled Pork

BTW SET it and Reel him IN Kynola!!! We got another one! ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 25, 2010, 03:57:22 AM
BTW SET it and Reel him IN Kynola!!! We got another one! ;D

Not even a fight...