Ribs came out black. Why?

Started by 7997redtail, September 26, 2010, 08:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachanga

Here are some ribs smoked yesterday.  This is after some damage has been done so this is not the full rack.  This will, however, give you something to compare to as far as color.  Sugar was omitted from the rub for a low carb dieter.  The sugar would have created a darker color.  This is a middle of the road color - sometimes ribs are a little more black, sometimes a little more dark mahogany.  I do not judge by color.  I will check for fork tender or lift in the middle with tongs, looking for limpness.  The entire rack was lifted off the basket by picking up in the middle when ready.  They bent into a U.  They did not break apart, but did crack a little.  For me, if they tear apart when lifting, they are too done.

Total time: 7.5 hours (a butterflied chicken shared the chamber for a part of the smoke)
Type: St Louis Cut Pork
Method:  Naked, bone down until last hour then flipped
Rub: Home mixed
Slather: Dijon and French's Mustard over rub
Glaze: None
Temperature: 225
Rack #3 from bottom then moved to # 2
Vent: 3/4 open
Wood:  Apple, oak, Hickory and a couple of Mesquite
Sauce: Offered to all at the table; none used.
Notes: Ribs were juicy, nice texture, a little tug, came clean off the bone.

I think Kynola and others who mentioned the closed vent probably nailed your problem.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Caneyscud

NNNnnnnoooooo say it ain't so!!!!!

What's that silver stuff?  Do I perceive an "out of the closet" crutcher?  We all have our weak moments.  I did two cheater briskets last month.  -  There I confessed - again!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Pachanga

Quote from: Caneyscud on September 29, 2010, 12:54:22 PM
NNNnnnnoooooo say it ain't so!!!!!

What's that silver stuff?  Do I perceive an "out of the closet" crutcher?  We all have our weak moments.  I did two cheater briskets last month.  -  There I confessed - again!

It ain't so.  

I did get foil out after the smoke.  Just a liner for my cookie sheet to make cleanup simple. Folded over to tent the ribs for a few minutes to set before serving.

No foil was harmed during the smoking portion of this production.

I smoke totally naked.  (see Method in above post).

That may make me the dullest knife in the drawer but I am sticking with my experiences, beliefs and values.

I did read your confession in an earlier post.  No comment at the time but I almost cried.

Pachanga

kaskiles

Hmm, nice naked low carb ribs.
Is the rub formulation available, or top secret?
OBS, Et-73, bubba pucks, frogmats; Merritt Island, FL

Pachanga

Quote from: kaskiles on September 29, 2010, 04:55:32 PM
Hmm, nice naked low carb ribs.
Is the rub formulation available, or top secret?

No secrets in my kitchen. 

I took a poll on this rub recently from several guests.  Is it too spicy?  Does it overpower the meat flavor?  Does it complement the meat well?  The rub received favorable complements from all in a group of serious cooks that love to work the active cook over in a teasing fashion.  Sauce was on the table.  None was used. 

This rub will pair well with a sweet glaze but I rarely use one.

Pachanga's Rib Rub

This is a Texas Rub packed full of bold traditional Texas flavors.  The seasonings were picked over time from cowboys working cattle while cooking over the branding fire, Texas pit bosses, and Mexican cooks along border dove hunts.  I use a single recipe on a full rack of St. Louis Cut Ribs but you may want to start with one half and add to your liking in future smokes.  I prefer crushed spices over ground in rubs so that miniature bursts of differing flavors blast your palate.

½ teaspoon celery seed (not salt)
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Tablespoon sugar or brown sugar (optional for low carb)
1 Tablespoon chili powder blend or New Mexico ground chile (preferred)
1 Tablespoon granulated beef stock (or crushed cubes) (optional for low carb)
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon course grind sea salt (kosher will do)
1 Tablespoon course grind black pepper
1 Tablespoon crumbled dried oregano (Mexican oregano preferred)
2 teaspoons granulated garlic (powder will do)
1 teaspoon ancho powder (optional)

Depending on how many empty cerveza bottles are around the mixing area I may add one or several other ingredients.

½ teaspoon ground bay leaves
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon rosemary (whole)
½ teaspoon dried tarragon
1 teaspoon lemon or lime zest
1 teaspoon onion flakes

Mix well with a whisk.

Remove membrane from back of ribs
Liberally put rub on both sides of ribs (probably the whole jar)
Pat in very well, then coat with olive oil or mustard slather.

Serve with plenty of napkins.

Enjoy

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Pachanga

Quote from: KevinG on September 30, 2010, 10:59:37 AM
So is that list for one rack?

One rack of St Louis Cut Pork for me but as mentioned I would start with 1/2 and increase if it suits your palate.

When I mix this up, I always think to myself that I won't use but half of it and end up with all of it.  I rub the edges of the ribs also.

Pachanga