• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Holiday smoke 1st or 4th

Started by tsquared, July 01, 2005, 12:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

What's everyone doing for their holiday smoke? July 1st for the Canuckleheads and the 4th for the Hershey Bars.  We're still eating pulled pork from last weekend with some grilled oysters for starters.
T2

psdubl07

Haven't decided yet.  I think my neighbor is grilling some meat, so I may just do a huge batch of ABTs.  They taste so good, there are never enough of them, so I might just do 4 racks worth!

JJC

I'll be in Maine at our log cabin on Balch Lake smokin' my brains out . . . pulled pork, ABTs and smoked shrimp a la S+S . . . leaving tomorrow early to get in some fishing before the women-folk arrive.  Can barely lift my arm to flyfish, but apparently it's good PT for my neck as long as I don't catch anything bigger than 10 pounds.  Since the lake record for bass is a bit under 9 lbs., I think I'll be fine!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Can barely lift my arm to flyfish, but apparently it's good PT for my neck as long as I don't catch anything bigger than 10 pounds. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I like the sound of your physiotherapist, John! Have fun and have a great weekend.
T2

pkadare

Canada Day for me! Doing 10 racks of ribs today. Half each using these recipes:
http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/drybbqrub.shtml
http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/32162

I'm just a neophyte here, so I'm a little nervous about this, but willing to give it a go. Been doing a ton of reading and here's what I'm planning for today:
4 hour smoke (5 racks at a time)
Into tinfoil with a little bit of the vinegar mop for one batch and the BBQ sauce for the other batch.
2 hours or so in the foil.
FTC.
Cool and refrigerate overnight.
On to the grill tomorrow with more mop and sauce just before serving.

I've done both of these recipes in the past on the grill. Even tried smoking the MIM ribs on the grill. PITA with no smoke box. Had to use a tinfoil package of wet wood. Still tasted great so I can't wait to see what they're like coming off the BS!

Oh, and ABTs as an appetizer.

I'll try to post some pics.

Happy Canada Day and Happy 4th to all!

http://www.identit.ca/blogs/paul/
"The English language, complete with irony, satire, and sarcasm, has
survived for centuries without smileys. Only the new crop of modern computer geeks finds it impossible to detect a joke that is not clearly labeled as such."
Ray Shea

tsquared

Your method seems to be the one of choice lately. I haven't tried it but plan to soon as my last attempt at ribs was less than a complete success. They were dried out and tough. Let us know how it goes. BTW-welcome to the forum and Happy Canada Day!
T2

psdubl07

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Can barely lift my arm to flyfish, but apparently it's good PT for my neck as long as I don't catch anything bigger than 10 pounds.  
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Strippin Woolly Buggers through the edges of the lake?  Try some top-water poppers too, it's a hoot!

Phone Guy

Well due to a Birthday party for my Mother-in-Law on the 3rd and another party on the 5th (Both in Yreka,CA) I will be stuck with grilling lobster and scallops. We won't have the smoker with us.

Foam Steak

Heading up to the mountains for the weekend to COOL OFF and drink beer.  Going to do a little fishing and maybe find a mushroom or two.  Drink Beer.  I just pulled a homemade cured Honey Ham out of the foil after 3 hours in the cooler.  Man o man, it is superior!  I must go pig hunting again!  No more smoking until I get back.  I am to just looking forward being cool and maybe even having to put on a sweater and drink beer.  How sweet is that?  

Have a fun and safe weekend!  

Sincerely,
Foam

nsxbill

After I retired for the 2nd time, I went to work, and the ho I am, always worked the holidays for the double time and a half.  I am taking July 4th off this year.  I think I am just going to do the traditional route and do up some hamburgers on the grill.  It will be my last hurrah.  

I will be going into surgery for gastric bypass on the 11th, and no beef or pork for 6 months.  Got to get some smoking done of some good salmon so when I convert back to solid food from the liquids will have something very tasty, even though very small amounts, on hand for my protein besides the daily shakes that will be my fallback for protein for the rest of my life.

Those of you who know me, know how much I love my own coffee.  Have to switch to decaf for the sixth months too.  Will be roasting up some decaf beans about 2 weeks after the surgery so at least it will taste a little like the triple shot in the morning.  Just no kick to it.  

I will definitely be doing lots of chicken and fish over the next 6 months or so, but just love a good hamburger!  Thus, my last meal for the condemned man!!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

tsquared

Hey Bill, sorry to hear about your surgery. Hope you have a good weekend and everything goes well in terms of your operation. I'm going out at first sparrow fart tomorrow to try and restock the salmon supplies. Summer's here!!
T2

manxman

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Bill.

It is our national day on July 5th, we are not actually part of the United Kingdom although we are part of Britain but we have our own government which at more than 1000 years old is the longest continuous government in the world.

So July 5th is a Bank Holiday here on the Isle of Man. Plan to cook some local dishes including queenies (queen scallops) with bacon and garlic and also some kippers. (cold smoked herring)

The latter will be done in the BS, not done these yet but we caught a load of herring and mackerel out in the boat and they are just crying out to be smoked. The herring will be cold smoked, the mackerel hot smoked both using oak. [:D]

Happy holidays all! [:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

pkadare

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pkadare</i>
<br />Canada Day for me! Doing 10 racks of ribs today. Half each using these recipes:
http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/drybbqrub.shtml
http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/32162
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well, so far so good! I had a bit of trouble yesterday trying to get the BS back up to temperature after loading up the BS. I'd watch the digital thermometer start to climb, then it would drop like crazy. Took a long time (close to an hour) to get back up to temp. I think what was happening was that I had the temp control slider all the way to high, and for some reason the BS was shutting off the heating element. I eventually moved the control back about 1/4" or so from full and it worked much better with no sudden temperature drops.
The challenge now will be to avoid eating the ribs before my guests arrive today! Ok, so I took two ribs off of one of the MIM racks, ate one, and gave one to my wife. They were awesome! When's dinner again?
I've posted some pictures and will add some more tomorrow once I've grilled the ribs and smoked the ABTs.
http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=padare&P=&AID=2581455&CID=250863&T=1&ILD=879710

http://www.identit.ca/blogs/paul/
"The English language, complete with irony, satire, and sarcasm, has
survived for centuries without smileys. Only the new crop of modern computer geeks finds it impossible to detect a joke that is not clearly labeled as such."
Ray Shea

Habanero Smoker

Bill,
I hope your surgery and recovery goes well. I'm going to a cook out, taking a break from smoking. I may do a few chickens latter this week.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Bill you know my thoughts are with ya... for sure.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">for some reason the BS was shutting off the heating element. I eventually moved the control back about 1/4" or so from full <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">The Bradley has a high limit switch that cuts in around 300 F. That's what was cutting your unit off.

For the 4th I'm not sure what the wifie is cooking [:D] And frankly I don't care either [^]

At the moment I have my Pepper beef in the unit with 8 pucks worth of pecan. This is my first pepper beef and as I posted somewhere else this recipe came out of my head... I sure hope I have not messed up again LOL~~!

Again Bill, my thoughts will be with you on the 11th...

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!