• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need To Modify Recipe?

Started by OMC-MOOSE, October 01, 2010, 05:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OMC-MOOSE

Hi all...brand new to smoking here.  I just got the Bradley Original 2 nights ago in preparation for deer season.  I have been using the following recipe for jerky making for years and doing it in the oven or most recently, a dehydrator.  The one "complaint" I get is that it is to salty (and I agree).  I usually made about 10 lbs. (raw meat) at a time.  The recipe is for 2 lbs. but I just "times" everything times 5 to get a brine solution for that much meat.  I wonder if any of you could recommend changes (eliminating, decreasing, or adding ingredients) to my recipe to get the "saltiness" down now that I will be smoking?  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

1/4 Cup Liquid Smoke

1/3 Cup Vinegar

1/2 Cup Soy Sauce

1/4 Cup Worcestershire Sauce

2 Tablespoons Durkee Red Hot Sauce

1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder

1 Teaspoon Black Pepper

1 Teaspoon Seasoning Salt

1 Teaspoon Brown Sugar

1 Tablespoon Salt

1/4 Cup water

I usually made this concoction up and let the meat soak in it for 48 hours of so and then on to the dehydrator. 

I never used any "cures" but with this much salt in the ingredients, I probably didn't need any. I have a supply of Morton Tender Quick that I use in bologna making but from the little bit of research I have been able to do here, I see Cure #1 is referenced a lot.  Thanks for any input.
NRA Life Member

KevinG

Looks like you've got 3 versions of salt going on. Soy sauce, salt, and seasoning salt. I'd probably cut the soy sauce down to 1/3 cup, reduce either the the seasoning salt or salt to make 1 1/2 tablespoons total, and maybe increase the sugar to a tablespoon. I'd make up the liquid difference with some water. I do highly recommend cure#1, should be about 1/2 Tablespoon.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

If i was making this for 10 pounds i would eliminate the vinegar, cut the liq smoke down to 2 T, up the water to 3/4 cup, use 2 level tsp of cure #1

NePaSmoKer

I need to edit the vinegar.

Adding vinegar to the jerky is like making kippered jerky which is good stuff.

OMC-MOOSE

Thank you for the input guys!  Now all I need is to shoot the most important part of the jerky!  I will let you know how it turns out (if and when it turns out...lol)
NRA Life Member