Looking for a snack mix recipe

Started by Chili Head, October 04, 2010, 10:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chili Head

I'm wanting to do a snack mix for an upcoming camping trip and cant really find anything that looks good. I'm more after a spicy cajun snack mix than a chex type mix. What have you guys done?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Chili Head on October 04, 2010, 10:35:40 AM
I'm wanting to do a snack mix for an upcoming camping trip and cant really find anything that looks good. I'm more after a spicy cajun snack mix than a chex type mix. What have you guys done?

CT coated and smoked pistachios..........OH YEAH BABE

Gizmo

Is it the chex cereal that you don't like or the taste of the standard snack mix?

I usually add a bunch of things to a mix including the chex cereal.  For flavor, I like the standard flavor but also like to change it up a lot with cajun spices or mexican spices, or hot sauces, etc.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Chili Head

CT coated and smoked pistachios..........

I'm doing this today for a test run  :D

I like all the snack mixes really. I guess all I need to do is figure out what flavor to mix in.
Now when you use a liquid flavoring like hot sauce, will the hot sauce dry on the mix or will it end up tacky? You got to be able to eat it without sliming the beer can  ;D

Tenpoint5

Mixing the Hot sauce in with the wet mix it will dry just like normal and add a great additional flavor. No Beer can sliming
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Chili Head,
Go buy you some sort of party mix.  Put it in a bowl and splash a little CT or hot sauce on it. Stir to make sure everything is coated and then take your favorite rub and lightly sprinkle some in.  Stir again to make sure all is nicely spiced.  Transfer to your Bradley racks in nice even layers and into the smoker at 170 or so.  Roll smoke and check from time to time for the sauce to dry.  I would think 2 hours of smoke would be more than adequate.  When done(dry) to your liking, take it out of the Bradley and lay out to dry further.  Some of it will most likely be stuck together.  Simply separate those pieces.

Chili Head

Here's what I got for the mix.

Here it is racked and ready for two hours of hickory.

Here's the the finished product.

It turned out great! Just the right amount of smoke..not over powering at all. I should have used a bit more CT though, the flavor is really mild. I have another batch in the smoker now with hot sauce (arizona gunslinger)..I mixed it a little stronger  ;) ;D I'll post pics of it a little later tonight.

DTAggie

Funny this post showed up.  I did this exact thing this weekend.  I did the standard Chex Mix recipe off one of their boxes but added Tabasco.  Sorry I did not measure the amount of Tabasco to report.  It was a bit much for the kids but wife and I love it.  Rolled 2 hours of Oak at about 250*.  Gets better with each passing day.

Gizmo

Looks like a tasty treat indeed.  As you can seen now, the possibilities are endless.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Chili Head

Here's the Gunslinger batch. Next time I'm going with a higher heat setting, it seems some of the nuts got soft from the hot sauce. Maybe they will dry out more resting tonight. I was putting way too much thought into it earlier  ::) ;D 

squirtthecat

Farm & Fleet!  Haven't been in one of those since I worked in Decatur..

Nice looking nuts 'snack mix'! (I like your cold adult beverage choice as well)

[edited for Caney's sake]

Caneyscud

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 06, 2010, 04:51:10 AM

Nice looking nuts! (I like your cold adult beverage choice as well)

Uuuuuuhhhhhhh.   Nope, on second thought, I think I'm gonna go slink back into my hole and leave that one alone!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Chili Head

Well I Vac sealed the second batch and my nuts mix firmed up nicely resting overnight ;D
I hate soggy nuts snack mix  ;)

Pachanga

Take a handful and mix some dried fruit in with it; cranberry, mango, cherry, apricot, white raisins, dark raisins, etc.  A small hit of sweet and tart every once in a while intensifies all those other great flavors and shakes up the old taste buds.

Good looking snack as is though.  Just a recommendation where you can easily get two for one by splitting the original up.

Pachanga

KyNola