• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Questions about Food Safety wrt Freezing and thawing meat

Started by Carter, October 04, 2010, 11:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carter

Hi Folks,

I made pulled pork a few weeks ago for a party that my wife and I held on Saturday for about 20 of our closest friends (and their children - most of which are under 4 - WOW!!!).

Anyways, with that number, I wasn't sure how much pork to make so I did two full butt's and then vacuum sealed them.

I ended up thawing it all, but only used about 3/4's of what I thawed.  What we didn't use didn't get removed from it's vacuum sealed bag.

I'd like to chuck it back in the freezer, but I've always heard that you can't refreeze what's already been thawed and this led to a discussion with my wife about the topic.

We wondered:

1.  If you've cooked it, froze it, thawed it, and re-froze it, is that OK?  I've always believed that it is not OK.
2.  If you've thawed it uncooked, can you refreeze it?
2b.  If no is the answer to #2, what about meet you buy from the butcher?  Isn't that previously thawed from frozen before you buy it?  We buy tonnes of meat from the butcher, vacuum seal it and freeze it.
3.  Freezing cooked leftovers is fine right?  I've been doing this for years with no adverse effects.

Any thoughts from those who know would be appreciated.

Thanks

Carter

hal4uk

It's ok to refreeze meat whether previously frozen/thawed and/or cooked, as long as it is in good condition when you freeze it.  However, each freeze/thaw cycle can slightly degrade the flavor.  So, yes it's "ok", but expect diminishing returns.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ArnieM

I agree with Hal.  You can take the left over meat in the vac bag and put it into 180 degree water to warm it up.

My freezer is full of leftovers. Never had a problem. 
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

I know that you can refreeze uncooked food/meat as long as it has been fully thawed in the refrigerator and not stored too long in the refrigerator.

The problem with thawing and refreezing food is that each time you thaw it, it provide bacteria the conditions in which it can grow. Refrigeration only slows the growth of bacteria, and freezing make the bacteria dormant. So each time you freeze and thaw, the number of available bacteria to multiple is larger. If you refreeze, make sure to reheat to at least to 165°F, and hold it there for about a minute.

Here is a link to show how fast bacteria can multiply:
Food Hygiene

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Carter

Thanks guys.  I'm pleased to read that I'm not going to have to A) eat 2 pounds of pulled pork this week or b) risk having to waste 2 pounds of pulled pork (not to worry, I'd find something to do with it).

As usual, I'm glad I asked.

Carter