DBS cabinet as fermenting chamber....

Started by ExpatCanadian, October 01, 2010, 03:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

For a while now I've been wanting to make some of the more advanced (in terms of process) types of sausage.... the fermented semi-dried and dried salami's etc.  I've just started these past few weeks first with fresh then smoked, so I reckon I'm at least an intermediate by now right  ;)

Anyway, I'm all about getting stuck in....  so this weekend I want to attempt the Summer Sausage recipe here: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-recipes/summer-sausage

I figure it's a good one to start on, as it's fermented, but then fully cooked...  so fairly minimal risk.  Won't dry it further, will just refrigerate and eat.

Problem is, I don't have a proper curing/fermentation chamber with humidity and temperature control (yet!).  So, I was thinking I might take the smoke generator off by DBS, cover over the hole and use the cabinet.  For humidity I'd use the saturated salt solution method with the vent fully closed, and the fan running.  I figure with the 75% that should give me, plus the moisture coming off the sausages, I should get high enough humidity for this step.  I'd use my Auber PID to control the temperature....  daily ambient temperature is around 60F right now and I'd need around 85F for the 24 hour fermentation step, so hopefully that should work ok, especially if I start at night, when ambient drops to around 50F.  After that it's just a normal sausage smoke with a ramp up to an IT of 140....

What do you think, anyone done it?

NePaSmoKer

You know you could skip the R/H factor if you eliminated the F-LC culture and used Fermento instead.

Doing the salt R/H fluctuates to much.

I would use beads if you dont have a small humidifier.    http://cigarhumidificationbeads.com/

ExpatCanadian

Thanks nepas.....  unfortunately Fermento doesn't seem to be available over this side of the pond, but I do have a supply of the culture.  Well, not that exact culture, but a culture for salami sold by one of our sausage making supply places over here.

As for the humidity, I'll see if I can find a source of those beads over here.  Looks like they are available, just need to find the right supplier.

KevinG

Kinda wondering if high humidity may take a toll on the remaining electronics in the smoker.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: KevinG on October 01, 2010, 09:17:22 AM
Kinda wondering if high humidity may take a toll on the remaining electronics in the smoker.

Good point.... although there isn't much left except the temp sensor, and the heating element. The element will be cycling on/off every so often to maintain the fermentation temperature, so would heat up enough to evaporate any moisture.  I wonder if you're right though that so much humidity might cause a short?  I am planning to run my fan to create some airflow in the cabinet, so that might help.  The temp sensor is definitely sealed up so won't have any issues there I expect.  Might have to put some kind of foil shield over the top of the hanging sausages in case of the dreaded black rain..... or maybe just invert the v-tray onto the top rack position?  Have to check if that's possible when I get home tonight....

I'm planning to build a proper curing chamber this winter out of an old fridge, so this will probably be a one-off.  I'll let you all know how it goes....

KevinG

I guess if worse came to worse, you could get some of that aluminum tape, and tape up all the corners/openings as a precaution.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Habanero Smoker

I have fermented dry cured sausage in the Bradley, by detaching the generator and using a hot plate with a bowl of water, but I did have problems with hot spots. Your method may work better. With the heat from the element and the salted water, you should be able to keep the humidity within limits. Tape some aluminum foil along the area where the "V" tray (drip pan) meets the back of the smoker to help prevent moisture from running down the wall onto the element; but don't cover the slots. You just want to seal the area when it meets the back wall. You may want to keep the vent partially open.

In your case, you are going to fully cook the sausage anyway, so you don't have to be as concerned with the casings drying out. That is why the high humidity is needed. That concern would apply if you were going to fully dry cure the sausage.

Instead of using a F-LC culture, which has a good flavor, but very slow growing. You may be better off with Bactoferm F-RM-52 or a similar faster growing culture that will only take 8 - 10 hours at around 85°F - 90°F. The faster growing bacteria may be slightly more acidic, but for me the difference in taste is almost undetectable.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ExpatCanadian

Thanks Hab...  I actually can't get F-LC here anyway, as far as I know.  The one I can get, is called LS-25 made by a German company.  I used to have a PDF somewhere which described it's use, but can't find it right now.

Thanks for your suggestions....  will post my results after the weekend hopefully!

carnie1

Check this out http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=9198.msg97407#msg97407I did it this way awhile back and I did get that small humidifer that I had the link to but returned it because it didnt have enough power to do the job , I just used a regular humidifier I found at the goodwill store for a few dollars

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: carnie1 on October 05, 2010, 07:20:04 AM
I did get that small humidifer that I had the link to but returned it because it didnt have enough power to do the job

That mini humidifier looks perfect!  You mentioned it didn't have enough power...  were you running it directly inside the Bradley cabinet or remotely like with your original setup?  It says it's good for up to 8 cubic feet....  which should more than cover the 4 rack Bradley.  It doesn't seem to have a large water capacity though....

carnie1

You can check a big cigar store for one like that, as far as water supply, it was more like a sponge type materal where you put the water in