Winter Time Smoking

Started by thirtydaZe, October 06, 2010, 09:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirtydaZe

Obviously new to smoking here, recently bought a DBS 6 rack.

So far we've only done baby backs, and the end result was a bit over powering for us.  3 hours of smoke was a bit much for us, novice to the tongue.

Anyhow, jonesing big time to get back to it this weekend, it's like a new fascination of mine.

Being here in NE, and it being October, winter will soon be upon us.

Is it even possible to run the smoker in freezing temps?  What do you all do to keep your smoking habits up year round?

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

squirtthecat

I use mine year round.  (Central IL)  It is in a Suncast tool shed enclosure to keep the wind off of it.  Wind is the smoker's worst enemy..

I'll put up a few pics to show you my setup.

ArnieM

Sorry about your ribs.

Yes, the smoker will run in freezing temps.  The key is to keep it out of the wind.  Some of us have it set up in the garage.  Some use duct work to get the smoke out and some use an overhead exhaust hood. 

I used a simple duct setup to go out the garage door.  I'd leave the door open by 6 inches or so.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Here is where my Bradley (and related gizmos/pans/etc.) lives.  It is outside year round.

On the extra frigid/windy days, I just bungee the doors closed, leaving room for the smoke to escape. (I had a small fan in the back pushing the smoke/water vapor out.

The next morning, the Bradley was holding true at 225°, while the inside of the cabinet showed the true temperature..   (got down to 18° that night w/ 10MPH winds)

thirtydaZe

Thanks, much appreciated!

ArnieM - I've now seen 2 systems vented.  Yours and a person who had his in a plastic tool shed setting on a mini fridge.

This is brilliant, but can you elaborate on how you've attached your duct work, or am i seeing this correctly, just simply duct taped in place?

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Tenpoint5

Its just duct taped in place. I am in Iowa and mine sits on top of a tool chest bottom in the garage. I just crack a walk through door in the front and back and let the smoke roll. Makes the garage smell good. I do however leave the vehicles outside during this.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

The pic I posted was a prototype for my feasibility study.  It has since been replaced.

These are the four pieces I now use.

The 6 inch stack is permanently mounted to the smoker.  It stays on all year.

This is the final setup.

I find the setup to have a few advantages.

• It's in the garage during winter so I don't have to go out in the snow.
  • I have a convenient wall outlet so I don't need an extension cord.
  • When outside and it starts raining, I can put the right-angle piece on the stack (keeps the rain out) and cover up the smoke generator and PID.
  • Lastly, it's cheap!

-- Arnie

albertapoacher

Thats a brilliant set up! Actually both are. More great idea's being passed on to us newbie's!

Mike

ArnieM

I would have vented through the wall but the wall behind the smoker faces the street.  Wifey would have killed me.  :-\
-- Arnie

Mailman

Here is my smokers home. Hand made. Isnt vented yet. I just leave door slightly open.

If to error is human. Than I'm more human than most.

ArnieM

Nice build job Mailman!

I had to go and dig up this old post.  Hopeful Romantic (Hady) had this built.  He's in Amman, Jordan.  Probably not much snow.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13359.0
-- Arnie

Mailman

Thought about insulating it. I still can. that would really leave the cold outside.
If to error is human. Than I'm more human than most.

SouthernSmoked

Nice job...

Awesome smokehouse!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

RossP

Nice job on your smokers new home,
now how about you come up to BC and build us guys
up here a few of those homes.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

thirtydaZe

Quote from: ArnieM on October 06, 2010, 10:36:03 AM

The 6 inch stack is permanently mounted to the smoker.  It stays on all year.

On your installation, did you drill directly through the top of your smoker? 

DBS 6 Rack
Yoder Cheyenne 16