winter in wi

Started by stevergs, October 10, 2010, 04:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevergs

i have smoked everything i could with your help all summer with my OBS. wondering what happens when winter comes to wisconsin. am i done till spring or will it just take longer. hate to wait that long. thanks

Ka Honu

As I'm sure you will hear shortly from other people who live in those kind of places, the biggest issue is wind rather than ambient temperature.  Find a way to shield the smoker from the wind and half your battle is won.  A favorite option seems to be to move the smoker into the garage and vent it outside - solves both the wind and temperature issues.

Personally, I'd move someplace warmer and take the smoker with me.  But that's just me.

Up In Smoke

Just keep it out of the wind, preheat a little longer, and some here have added a second heating element to pump up recovery time.
you can also wrap a brick or two in foil, place close to the water bowl or on the bottom rack to help.
Many, Many tricks here to get you through the winter. No reason to punish yourself just because it gets a little chilly  ;)

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

stevergs

if it only worked at the ice shack , that would be great.thanks

Up In Smoke

2 Bradley OBS
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

stevergs

already have one for the deer stand

Up In Smoke

Simple,
deer stand and smoker....... ???
2 Bradley OBS

Tenpoint5

Quote from: stevergs on October 10, 2010, 04:09:05 PM
i have smoked everything i could with your help all summer with my OBS. wondering what happens when winter comes to wisconsin. am i done till spring or will it just take longer. hate to wait that long. thanks

It gets cold!! Just like it does here in Iowa. Like the guys have said just watch the wind.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

watchdog56

I am in Minnesota and I use my smoker during the winter. Fortunately I am able to use it in my garage and just prop the window open during the smoke process. It does take a little longer but the main thing is to keep it out of the wind.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: watchdog56 on October 14, 2010, 07:29:21 AM
I am in Minnesota and I use my smoker during the winter. Fortunately I am able to use it in my garage and just prop the window open during the smoke process. It does take a little longer but the main thing is to keep it out of the wind.
And the garage smells a lot better than the usual gas and oil smells in there!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mnsmoker

watchdog56, where in MN are you located? I'm in Austin, down near the IA border...

watchdog56

Inver Grove Hts. TTnuge is in Minn. also but I think he is on the west side of the cities.

hal4uk

I used to live in Bemidji, MN, but only until I found my way out of the Paul Bunyan museum...  8)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Ka Honu

Quote from: hal4uk on October 14, 2010, 05:54:49 PMI used to live in Bemidji... 

I worked with a guy whose dad was the stationmaster on the reservation near Bemidji when he was growing up (in the 50s when he was about the only non-Indian kid in town).  Talk about someone who was glad to move to Hawaii!

hal4uk

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 14, 2010, 09:49:06 PM
Quote from: hal4uk on October 14, 2010, 05:54:49 PMI used to live in Bemidji... 

I worked with a guy whose dad was the stationmaster on the reservation near Bemidji when he was growing up (in the 50s when he was about the only non-Indian kid in town).  Talk about someone who was glad to move to Hawaii!
Actually, Bemidji is in some beautiful country...  If it just wuzn't colder'n Quarlow's @ss up there in the winter...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby