• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Butt Gone Bad

Started by Copper Creek, July 04, 2005, 02:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Copper Creek

OK...

I've had my Bradley for a year and a half.  I've successfully cooked a lot of different meats on it.  The first three pork butts that I cooked were perfect... simply fantastic.  The last two were poor.  They were OK on the outside but were tough in the center.  I could not easily pull it apart.  So... where did I go wrong?  Am I not cooking it long enough? Not slow enough?  Is it perhaps a poor piece of butt?  Any ideas???

Thanks,
Steve

Steve
Copper Creek

"Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all."

Chez Bubba

Steve,

What was the I.T.? With butt, that's more important than cook time. Size has a lot to do with it & how many you do at a time has a lot to do with it too.

1 6# butt can get to 190 in 6-8 hours, but 4 8#ers will probably take double that.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

I take my Boston butts to internal of 200-210 even.  I normally cook between 225-240f.  Some go slower but I can't tell any difference in quality.  I try and use between a 6-7 lber most times.  HTH.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

psdubl07

I nominate this thread for best Title!  [:D]

On a more serious note, I've only done 2 butts (in my Bradley Chez!), and the first one was excellent.  The second one was OK, but dried out through a lot of it and wouldn't pull.  I did them exactly the same way and the only thing I could think of was also that maybe it was the quality of the meat???
Does it matter if it's the Butt section or the Picnic and also bone-in vs. boneless?

Phone Guy

Low and slow. Give the the fat a chance to break down.

psdubl07

I did them both low and slow, but the second one wasn't just tough, it was dry.  This tells me it wasn't a matter of fat/collagen not being broken down.  I pulled it at I.T. of 193 taken in two spots.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by psdubl07</i>
<br />I nominate this thread for best Title!  [:D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I initially thought this was going to be about L'il Kim or J'Lo.[;)]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

PAsmoker

I always use a picnic with a nice fat cap on it.  I never had a dry butt (?) come out of the BS.  I also normally take temp to 200-205*.

As for the title, it reminded me of days 3 through 5 at hunting camp...[xx(]
The Original PAsmoker

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by PAsmoker</i>

As for the title, it reminded me of days 3 through 5 at hunting camp...[xx(]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LOL[:D][:D][:D]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Cold Smoke

OH MY GOD!!! [:D][:D][:D]

I had to close my office door- LMFAO!!

Cold Smoke

Phone Guy

"Butt Gone Bad"

Unfortunately this happens to often these days. [:D]

PAsmoker

The Original PAsmoker

CLAREGO

i pull my pork out of the smoker at 190 degress You got to ftc the bad boy the last one i did i brined it for 12 hours using molasess and picle salt that alton brown provided. he mad a smoker out of ceramic pots. anyways most times i will finish my butts in the oven till i get to the 190 degree temp but it will be in the cooler at the minimum of 2 hours