Weekend of Jack Daniels, Kielbasa, and Chorizo-advice?

Started by GusRobin, October 20, 2010, 06:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

The local market had butts on sale for $1.19 so I pick up 2 10#s. Saturday the wife and I may drive up to the Jack Daniels BBQ Championships. If we do, I'll probably grind and stuff the sausage on Saturday night when we return and smoke them starting Sunday morning.
If I stuffed on Friday night, would putting it in the fridge Friday and them smoking on Sunday morning be too long in the fridge?
Anyone have a good recipe for Chorizo?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Tenpoint5

Here's a couple I have floating around in my database. I haven't tried them yet.

Homemade Chorizo

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds ground pork
2 teaspoons salt
4 tablespoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons paprika
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar

DIRECTIONS
Mix ground pork, salt, chili powder, ground cloves, paprika, garlic, oregano and vinegar together thoroughly. Store in air-tight container in refrigerator for 4 days before using, to let spices blend together.

Chorizo

To Begin Chorizo: In a large bowl place:

2 Lb. ground pork.
3 1/2 tsp. salt
6 Tbl. pure ground red chile
6-20 small hot dried red chiles; tepine, Thai dragon, pico de gallo or the like, crushed
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbl. dry leaf oregano
2 tsp. whole cumin seed, crushed
1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
4 Tbl. good cider or wine vinegar
2 1/2 Tbl. water

Have everything cool. Break up the meat, sprinkle evenly with the rest of the ingredients, cut in with two forks until evenly mixed, then knead a bit with your hands until well mixed. At this point the chorizo will keep for at least a couple weeks in your refrigerator, or let it season for a couple days in your refrigerator, then wrap it in small packages, (3-4 oz. is about right for two people), and it will freeze fine for months. It can also be stuffed into casings and smoked like any other pork sausage.

Homemade Chorizo

Chorizo (Spanish hot sausage)

2 pounds (~1 kg) lean pork
1/4 cup vinegar
1 teaspoon oregano
3 cloves crushed garlic
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 small hot red peppers (minced) or 1/2 teaspoon crushed hot peppers
1 yard (~1 m) sausage casing

1. Grind the pork, using the coarse blade of the meat grinder. Mix thoroughly after adding the remaining ingredients.

2. Take off the cutting blade from the grinder and attach the sausage stuffer. Work all but a few inches of casing onto the sausage stuffer using a yard of casing at a time. Tie a knot at the end of the casing.

3. Stuff the mixture through the sausage stuffer into the casings and twist into links. If you like, dry the sausages by hanging them in a cool place, it may then be kept for several weeks.

You can eat the plain sausage or use it for cooking.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

BuyLowSellHigh

I have not made Chorizo, but I have used and still use a good bit of it.  There are two distinctly different kinds common in the US.  One is the Mexican, which is a fairly soft or loose ground sausage.  The other is the Spanish, which has a very different flavor and is much like pepperoni.  The Mexican version most typically has a pronounced cumin accent that is not present in the Spanish; the Spanish style is dominated by the flavor of smoked Spanish paprika.  Same name, but as different as Sweet Italian and Pepperoni.

But, if you have enough JD, who cares?     ;D
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Keymaster

Awesome tenpoint5, before now chorizo was out of my vocabulary due to the fact of the ingrediants of the stuff the wife purchased at the store and tricked me into eating. Brains!!!! I read the ingrediants.

Rich_91360

Really three types; Mexican - you remove casing prior to using; Spanish - a hard small sausage; and Portuguese - a smoked version, about same size as kielbasa, cam be mild or spicy.

BuyLowSellHigh

Good note - I ave only seen and used the Mexican and Spanish.

Okay so I went and looked at Poli's website - there's also Argentinian & Cuban. Poli gives formulations for several different Mexican styles.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm#CHORIZO-FRESH

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here