Smoke generator throwing unburnt pucks

Started by Toker, October 23, 2010, 11:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Hi my smoke generator is acting weird today. I put 4 pucks in and he burn only 3 the 4Th (to say the truth the 3rd) is not burnt. But the 4Th is burnt. Any idea? I'M not able to take off the cover and I red the FAQ first before posting. THX

P.S. Do you know how much cost a new one in the wrost case?

Habanero Smoker

It seems that that all the bisquettes where advance immediately one after the other. Where you using Bubba Pucks that would push the fourth bisquette off. If not then the reason the fourth one was burned is because it was the last bisquette and it sat on the burner.

I would say either your advance button was stuck, or you micro switch was not working properly. Hopefully it is the advance button, and it may have been stuck and worked itself free by the time it advanced the fourth bisquette. Just keep a pair of needle nose pliers handy to pull the button back out.

If it is the micro switch, then you would need to have you friend who helped you with your modifications to open the generator and clean and/or make adjustments. Hopefully that will save you the cost of a new generator.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

The situation i explained happend twice on 2 smokes same day and i did not even touched the advance button. And yes i used bubba pucks on both smokes.

Habanero Smoker

It may be your micro switch. But on the other hand a faulty heating pad can cause this. It could be a loose wire going to the heating pad, or the heating pad may be going bad.

Would you know if the bisquettes are cycling every 20 minutes?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Toker

I checked and yes the pucks were advancing every 20 minute or maybe 19 or so.

3rensho

I'd bet on the micro switch hanging occasionally.  Open the SG up and see that the micro switch is free of wood chips, dust etc.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Toker

OK i will try again to open it. So far, no luck on opening it. It's jammed. Do i have to unscrew to ramp before trying opening it? The bottom screws are off but is there any others screws or anything else to unscrewing like the thing where the feeder pole? If not could you explain me CLEARLY how to open it please. So far the botom screws are removed. Still don't understand why i can not removing the cover.

Tenpoint5

Toker I have a project that I am working on. It is not finished but what I have might be of some assistance to you. I have emailed it to your
videotron.ca account.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Toker

I emailed you back. Thx for trying to help but i have a obs not dbs and your thing is for dbs Might be similar but because i don't reconnaise the smoke generator i'm mixte up a bit. But thx anyway.

smoker pete

Quote from: toker on October 24, 2010, 04:34:15 AM
OK i will try again to open it. So far, no luck on opening it. It's jammed. Do i have to unscrew to ramp before trying opening it? The bottom screws are off but is there any others screws or anything else to unscrewing like the thing where the feeder pole? If not could you explain me CLEARLY how to open it please. So far the botom screws are removed. Still don't understand why i can not removing the cover.

Did you remove 8 screws or 4 screws?  The first time I tried to open my smoke generator I initially only removed the 4 screws in the corners.  Here is a link to how to open and clean your smoke generator.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=987#post987

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Habanero Smoker

Sorry for the delay in help, but I had to log off this morning.

The link that smoker pete provided should help you. At the front top of the generator you will see two notches, that hold the the base more securely to the bottom. Sometimes those notches grip too tight. Use something to lightly tap the top up and off those notches. You can see the notches I am talking about in picture #7.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Toker

I finally opened it!!! The reason i was unable to open it it's because the thing that hold the feeder holder was jammed. The 3 screws (or mesh) or little up write things that goes into the hole of the holder to make sure it does not move has bend. Can i put it back up write without being afraid to breaking it or they are too fragile?

Btw no loose connection. Only dust but ALOT OF DUST.

Toker

Finally did it even closing back. The test are yet to be done but should be OK thx.

Habanero Smoker

Did you clean and check the micro switch while you had it open? Hopefully the problem is resolved. Let us know if you still having any problems.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Toker

Yes i did at least as best that i could.