• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

ATT: expert sausage makers!

Started by smokeNcanuck, October 25, 2010, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

Correct HabS - I misstated "the use of only cure #1".  The recipe as it was published called for pure sodium nitrite, which probably shouldn't be in the typical household.  Cure #1, which is the nitrite diluted in salt, is the safe way to go.  I was caught by the use of only nitrite, in light of the discussion in this thread earlier.

Since this one is "Farmer-style summer sausage" from Minnesota, maybe it's one of those Norwegian bachelor farmer recipes.    ;D
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

smokeNcanuck

My head hurts ;)  Im on info over load.

Habs, I think I may just know somebody who is making their SS this way I'll go chat with them and see what they say.
Having them sample the finished product is a great idea.  Thanks for helping me work through this mess.  Also thanks for
the link to all those recipes and all that great info.  I will look into getting a hygrometer.

I only have one more question and that is at what temp, humidity and for how long is it safe(if at all) to hang my SS to dry??

Having just ate 4,5 or maybe 6 slices of the SS I just made I may just mot need to worry about this whole drying thing. ;D ;D
It taste really good.  As a side note I hung the cotton bag and just threw the small one in the fridge so I could get a quick fix ;)

Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

Habanero Smoker

It's great that you know someone in that community that can assist you. If a number of people are making this sausage, it can't be all that difficult.

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on November 01, 2010, 01:42:27 PM
Since this one is "Farmer-style summer sausage" from Minnesota, maybe it's one of those Norwegian bachelor farmer recipes.    ;D

It would be better if it is the Norwegian farmer's daughter's recipe.  :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeNcanuck

QuoteIt's great that you know someone in that community that can assist you

I may know OF someone, They have a butcher business, soooo it might be some sort of
secret ???  I'll have to see, until then I think I'll just continue to fully cook my SS.
Better to be safe than sorry! I should try to source some cure #2 here in Canada,
if anyone knows where I could get some please let me know.

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 02, 2010, 01:18:38 AM

It would be better if it is the Norwegian farmer's daughter's recipe.  :)

Maybe.   ;D

But if you have personal experience I will surely bow to your wisdom.   ;)

smokeNcanuck

QuoteI only have one more question and that is at what temp, humidity and for how long is it safe(if at all) to hang my SS to dry?? It has been fully cooked.

Anyone have any advise for me on this??

Thanks

lumpy

smokeNcanuck

I noted that in the ingredients list they only list sodium nitrite,and no nitrate.
I'm confused.

lumpy

I thought I knew about the cures until I read this post. ???

Like you..........I am confused too.

Perhaps 10.5 could ask the butcher to write up a little blurb about cures in the next newsletter.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BuyLowSellHigh

The best general reference on common curing salts I know of, written by HabS, is on the recipe site here.

smokeNcanuck

That is a great description!! But I'm wondering if things are a little different up here in the great white north.  Most butchers do not referr to cure#1 when asked what they use as a cure.  I have found the most common name to be  "pickle cure"  which in most cases that I have came across is a less "strong" (not as high content of nitrite)version of cure#1.  That's not to say that I have asked a thousand butchers, just a few local ones.

Sorry but does anyone have an answer for my last question??

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: smokeNcanuck on November 02, 2010, 06:07:17 AM
QuoteI only have one more question and that is at what temp, humidity and for how long is it safe(if at all) to hang my SS to dry?? It has been fully cooked.

Anyone have any advise for me on this??

Thanks

With semi-dry sausage, which you are referring to; they are air dried for about an additional 3 - 4 days at room temperature (approximately 68°F); with an RH around 65%. The step is to get them a little dryer and is optional.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Quote from: lumpy on November 02, 2010, 06:25:49 AM
I thought I knew about the cures until I read this post. ???

Like you..........I am confused too.

Perhaps 10.5 could ask the butcher to write up a little blurb about cures in the next newsletter.

I spoke with Steve and he said he would write something for the newsletter that goes over the basics
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

When i get back home i will show you the secret dry cure cabinet  :D