• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

overnight smoking

Started by elweezo, October 28, 2010, 08:45:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elweezo

Has anyone smoked their food overnight while they slept?  Did everything go well?   Did u attract any critters?

thanks
weasel
I thought I had something intersting to put here but then I thought again

squirtthecat

Quote from: elweezo on October 28, 2010, 08:45:36 AM
Has anyone smoked their food overnight while they slept?  Did everything go well?   Did u attract any critters?

thanks
weasel

I do it all the time.   

Yes, once you convince yourself it will all be fine and to just go to sleep.     

Nope.  (not that we have any bears or anything like that in Central IL)

elweezo

I am more worried about the alabama house cats(possums) than I am bears  lol

squirtthecat

You could bungee the door shut if you think they are aggressive enough to get in..

kinyo

I think the heat produce by the smoker will keep critters away. I have done overnight smokes at the cabin and never had a problem. But me too, I was afraid of that the first time.

The only things you may attract, are your neighbors!  ;D

elweezo

neibors   eek  the worst kind of critters....   And for the record, (Just in case anyone is thinking that I should buy a skirt) I am not afraid of possums, its just the dynamic duo (my pic)  go freakin nuts and NO ONE will be sleeping especially me when my wife will be geck gecking in my ear..

FLBentRider

I have done plenty of overnight smokes - no critter issues.

We have jumbo racoons etc.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mat_M

Pretty much always smoke overnight when I do or boston butts. One recommendation I learned on here, and would recommend myself is to use a big pie pan instead of the bowl to hold water. That way you don't have to worry about filling the bowl every few hours.

elweezo

I have been thinking about a bigger water pan already and here is one of my ideas..  A cast iron water pot.  I could warm it to 300 in oven and when i put the meat in I will also put the cast pot in and it would help tobring the temp up quicker..  What u guys think

Thanks
weasel

kinyo

Quote from: elweezo on October 28, 2010, 09:40:25 AM
neibors   eek  the worst kind of critters....   And for the record, (Just in case anyone is thinking that I should buy a skirt) I am not afraid of possums, its just the dynamic duo (my pic)  go freakin nuts and NO ONE will be sleeping especially me when my wife will be geck gecking in my ear..

Elweeso, I didn't want to say that you are afraid of possums! What I meant is that during my first overnight smoke, I was also afraid of attracting animals. Sorry, my english is not that great.  ;)

squirtthecat

Quote from: elweezo on October 28, 2010, 11:38:10 AM
I have been thinking about a bigger water pan already and here is one of my ideas..  A cast iron water pot.  I could warm it to 300 in oven and when i put the meat in I will also put the cast pot in and it would help tobring the temp up quicker..  What u guys think

Thanks
weasel

Great idea.   This is the one I use..   (after some hacksaw love to get the handle off)

(that is a 9 x 9 foil pan inside of it)

RAF128

Overnight is pretty much the only way to do a butt or a brisket.   I remember the first few I did.    The IT would rise pretty rapidly before I went to bed and had restless sleeps worrying that it would be over done.   I'd usually get up pretty early and to my relief it was still stalled.    And it finished in the afternoon when I planned it too.   So nothing to worry about.    Having said that I know every new person will have the same worries.   

elweezo

LOL      I know u didnt think  that but I was making sure anybody who read that post wouldnt think that.           precautionary measures

weasel 

ArnieM

I've done overnight smokes on my deck.  The smoker is about 20 feet away from where my wife feeds a family of raccoons.  I've never had a problem.

Just make sure the smoker is outside and at least a little way away from the house just in case of a grease fire.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

elweezo

Oh yeah I goota get one of those pans... and a hacksaw