• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Smoke Success - almost

Started by TonyL222, October 29, 2010, 06:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyL222

Okay:

Finished my first OBS smoke yesterday.  Kept it simple by smoking a whole chicken.  I started the night before by injecting the bird.  To keep it simple I used Cajun Injector Creole Butter from a local store.  Put that in a bag and into the fridge over night.  Next morning I took the hen out to apply a rub.  Used the rub that I found here - http://www.bbq-fyi.com/smoked-chicken-recipe.html - since I had all the ingredients.  I applied a light coat of EVOO before applying the rub.  Thought that might help the rub to stick and would help the skin to brown.  Put onion, baby carrots, and celery in the cavity and trusted up the legs and wings to get this:

Then I went outside to fire up my OBS.  Received the Auber Dual PID yesterday and tried to program it, but quickly determined I didn't know what I was doing with it (more on that in another thread).  So I decided to go PIDless for this first smoke.  Here's a pic of my OBS (with PID attached):

Turned on the SG and moved the tower slider all the way right to warm up the smoker.  I planned to cook at 225, but I let the OBS warm up to 250 (door thermometer reading) before putting the bird in.  Put the bird in on the rad 3rd from the top, then loaded the SG with two hours of apple pucks.  Advance the pucks and had a beer (that's also another story - have you tried Dogfish Head IPAs?).  After the two hour smoke, I rotated the rack front to back and left it in the smoker another two hours.  I had a meat therm in the thigh and internal temp was not there yet.  Decided to finish in the oven for a crispy skin.  set oven to 350 and put the bird in.  Took it out once the IT hit 170 about 30 mins later.  Here's how she looked:

Wife raved over it and so far hasn't not asked how much my new toys cost me.  When she does I tell her the cost of the OBS and probably won't mention the PID   ;D

squirtthecat

Nice job!

Quoteprobably won't mention the PID

Good idea..   ;)    There are some good write-ups on the use of the new Dual Auber PID - I'm sure folks will be happy to chip in some more advice..

I've got the old single probe Auber, and I had to read the manual quite a few times to get it right.  And I'm a professional software developer..................   ::)

beefmann

nicely done, and shhhh to the wife

Tenpoint5

Well done for your first shot out of the gate!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

DTAggie

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

I have the OBS with the dual PID. SO if you need any help on it PM me and we can arrange to talk.
In the meantime, here is a thread that has a step by step with pics, see if that helps.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18346.0
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SoCalBuilder

Tony - Nicely done. How did the veggies turn out? I've had my OBS for about a month now and if I was honest and added up everything I have related to smoking, the OBS itself is a small percentage  :o It's all worth it though. I can relate on the PID, but there is absolutely no lack of help here. These guys and gals are the greatest when it comes to giving a helping hand. Enjoy!

thirtydaZe

Quote from: GusRobin on October 29, 2010, 07:27:57 AM
I have the OBS with the dual PID. SO if you need any help on it PM me and we can arrange to talk.
In the meantime, here is a thread that has a step by step with pics, see if that helps.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18346.0

the guys who contributed in this thread did an outstanding job, i will go as far as to thank them once again for the write ups.

had no idea how to operate the PID when i got it, and the instructions made NO sense to me.

still haven't used my PID either, but hope to finally get it fired up this weekend.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

smoker pete

Nice looking bird Tony.  Great start.

You said ... "Turned on the SG and moved the tower slider all the way right to warm up the smoker.  I planned to cook at 225, but I let the OBS warm up to 250 (door thermometer reading) before putting the bird in. "... May I suggest that you get yourself a wireless remote smoker thermometer so that you can monitor both the meat temp and the smoking chamber temp.  The reason is that the OBS door thermometer is not very accurate.  It can actually be off by 20 -40ยบ.  Many of us use the Maverick ET-73 Redi-Check.  As a note :  The ET-73 has a range of up to 100 feet but they have a new model, the ET-732 coming out for Christmas or sooner that will have a range of 300 feet.  So if you're going to buy one you might want to wait for the new one.  A good source for parts and accessories is http://www.yardandpool.com/Grilling-Smoking-Supplies-Accessories-s/9.htm.  Bryan is the contact person and he's also a forum member.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

TonyL222

Thanks for all the wonderful feedback - especially about the Auber DID.  Smoker Pete, that's what I bought this PID for ;-)  When I get home I'll read the Auber links and so a trial run.

Sent from my SPRINT EVO 4g using Tapatalk

smoker pete

Quote from: TonyL222 on October 29, 2010, 11:08:46 AM
Thanks for all the wonderful feedback - especially about the Auber PID.  Smoker Pete, that's what I bought this PID for ;-)  When I get home I'll read the Auber links and so a trial run.

You are correct Tony in saying that you procured the PID to control the temp in the smoking chamber and monitor the temp of the meat.  I for one would not want to smoke anything anymore without my PID but the PID is not a wireless thermometer for monitoring meat and smoking chamber temperature and then transmitting it to a remote monitor up to 100 feet.

The dual probe Auber that you have will control the temp of the smoker cabinet and monitor the food temp but you need to go look at the Auber to see what each temp is.  I and many others use the single or dual probe PID in conjunction with something like the ET-73 so that we can monitor the temps from afar.  In my case, I'm usually in my office or watching TV or something and want to know where I'm at with my smoke but don't want to constantly go outside to see what the temps are.

Bottom line is that I'm too lazy, in my old age, to get off my fat a** to constantly see what the temps are  ;D ;D  The PID alone will work just fine for you.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

SouthernSmoked

Dang good looking chicken there Tony...

Awesome first smoke!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

TonyL222

Smoker Pete, the remote meter does sound nice.  But if the Auber does it's job I shouldn't have to worry about it.  "Just set it and forget it" as the infomercials say.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk