Power Brine may burn stomach lining.....?

Started by precookingsmoker, October 29, 2010, 08:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

precookingsmoker

This is a brine formula I am trying in an attempt to achieve the tartness and bite of real Alaskan smoked salmon I had back on Kodiak Is. around 1960.

First attempt is being done with FROZEN store bought Salmon fillets 1/2 in thick. My procedure is prepare brine while salmon is still frozen, then immerse a couple of small frozen fillets in it and place the whole mess in the refrigerator(not freezer), in a small covered bowl(it stinks). The brine mix is:

12 Fl. Oz. Pure Nikano Rice Vinegar. NO WATER added.
1/4 cup Kosher Sea Salt
1/2 cup Brown Sugar

Taste test: Adjust to be sure no one ingredient overpowers the other two. I had to use store bought this time because no luck on the Sacramento River for Salmon this week. When I get a fresh salmon, it will be COLD SMOKED with the altered LPG barbeque mentioned on June 1st, 2010 at 2:45.
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=16207.0
Then the fresh(now cold smoked) salmon will be FREEZER FROZEN afterward, then taken out and brine soaked in frig. before it is thawed, curing for many hours. Then it gets hot smoked in a regular smoker for hours up to 170F. Pre-freeze smoking is to get more smoke INTO the meat, not just on the surface pellicle which seals it from smoke penetration. 
If you do not hear from me again....it is because I will be patching holes in my stomach lining.  ;D