Advice needed from Indiana

Started by Labsrit, November 02, 2010, 03:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Labsrit

Hi everyone,  I am from Indiana, 

I go by Labsrit as I have two labs one black  (Buddy)  and one mixed   (Bailey) with a golden.  My wife and I enjoy the smoking with our weber,  but I really want to try the Bradley's. 

Here is my question....

Are there any one thing (s)  that make one better than the other?   All comments welcome, and thanks in advance, 

Eric

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Labsrit!

I'll assume that you are asking about the Bradley smokers - Original vs Digital

I have the Original - One of the advantages is lower cost, less complexity than the digital.

For most hot smoking - pork butt, ribs, brisket, chickens, etc - you are going to run it on max most of the time.

If you are going to smoke your own sausage and/or some fish recipes you may want to add a temperature controller called a PID
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Welcome from next door! (Central IL)

I have the OBS as well, and I recently added a PID controller - as I'm about to venture into sausage making, etc.

beefmann

welcome to the forum Labsrit

head to head the digital is  complicated  learning curve due to the electronics then the original.

also one other thing to consider is the volume of  food that yuou  may  want to smoke, if you  are  going to have a group of friends over for a Sunday bbq / smoke lets say  15 to 20 friends then you  may  want to consider a 6 rack vs. a 4 rack just for added volume and  deal with  learning the electronics.

if not then the 4 rack non digital will do just fine 95% of the  time, the 4 rack i have done 45 lbs of tri tip that I had to rotate every few hours to keep from drying out.

some of the things you  should consider is    how  are you  going to be using the smoker? .. only smoking meats or complete  meals like i have done from time to time.
how many people  will you  be  using the  smoker for? if it is a small group < 15 again a 4 rack  would do well if you smoke / cook meat and maybe corn on the Cobb

smoker pete

Welcome to the forum Labsrit.

I'm not sure I understand your question.  Are you asking about the Weber vs Bradley or the Original Bradley Smoker (OBS) vs the Digital Bradley Smoker (DBS)?

I have the OBS with an Auber PID to control the smoke chamber temperature to ± 1º.  When I bought my OBS the DBS was only a twinkle in someone's eye but if I had to buy one today I would still select the OBS w/ PID cause it does all that I want it to do.  But both are excellent products.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Tenpoint5

Labs I can answer that question What makes the Bradley better than all the others? Simple THIS FORUM and ALL of its Members.

Now if your talking about the Bradleys it all depends on what your intended uses are for it. The others have that covered.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 02, 2010, 05:32:47 PM
Labs I can answer that question What makes the Bradley better than all the others? Simple THIS FORUM and ALL of its Members.

Now if your talking about the Bradleys it all depends on what your intended uses are for it. The others have that covered.
I would also add the Customer Service from Bradley
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DTAggie

sgaberdeen

Welcome Labs,

Can't go wrong with either one. Love my OBS. Gonna load up some sausage today. :)

ArnieM

I have the original (OBS) along with an Auber Instruments PID.  Great combo.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Chili Head

Welcome labs from east central Illinois!

I have had the digital Bradley for several months now and love it. As for the controls, I had it figured out without reading the instructions in just minutes. Don't let that worry you  ;)
I don't use a pid because I don't do sausage yet but everything else I have done has come out really good.
I can't speak for the OBS but you can't go wrong with the digital IMO.

GusRobin

if you don't need the space of a 6 rack, I would go with the OBS and the dual PID from auber
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

garbadee

I have a Original with the dual probe Auber.  My opinion is once you learn the Auber (which is simple) it becomes an an automatic system that is all but idiot proof.  When I was researching the OBS with Auber addition vs. DBS I noticed several posters were say they were going to add the Auber to the DBS because it added features the DBS did not include (meat temp probe come to mind).  So OBS made better sense and cost less for my needs.

I think DBS offers some advantages wrt controlling smoke generation.

Then compare any Bradley with a Webber and I feel the Bradley is a big advantage for several reasons like:
- This Forum (see 10.5 post).
- very forgiving
- turn it on and it works.
- no starter fluid.
- presice temp control
- easy to use
- etc...

Hope this is helpful.

Ed

classicrockgriller

I have an OBS and a 6rack Digital.

They are both great.

If I had to get rid of one, I would keep the 6rack cause

I like to smoke massssss quanities of meat at a time.

Welcome to the Forum.

Indy Smoker

Here's some advice to Indiana from Indiana. . .

I have the 4 rack Digital model, never had an issue and not difficult at all to program.  If you are considering 4 vs 6 rack read some of the posts on heating issues with the 6 racks and a full load of meat.  My 4 rack has been large enough and it will get the temps up there.  I am considering adding an Auber PID and it is just a matter of time.  Also consider placement outdoors, wind can cause some temp issues - I built a 'home' to keep it in to cook year round.  Lastly this forum is the best - everyone is always more than willing to help whenever needed.