• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Installing 2nd Element

Started by CoryNH, November 04, 2010, 06:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoryNH

I have all the parts to install the second element, High temp sensor, fuse, switch and wireing is all complete.  I drilled the 9/16" hole's in the heat shield for the new element.  The threaded rod coming out of the element (for power connections) makes the element much longer than the shield.  How did everyone install their element without bending the shield all up to get it in?  I tried removing the threaded rod, but could not get them to come out.  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

classicrockgriller

You do have to (push, bend, angle, etc) the element and shield to get it to go in.

Then just use some pliers to bend everything back to shape.

CoryNH

OK... thats what I thought.... didn't want to start bending everything if there was a better way...

TestRocket

It surprised me too how much I had to bend it!  :o

CoryNH

Wow this is quite the upgrade... Only took 15 mins to get to 250*.  I did notice that the new element glows much brighter than the original.  The original is only 3 smokes old so I know its not that,  I am assuming there is a current limiter on the PCB with the slider control.  Thanks to everyone who created the how too's on this modification...  Much appreciated.

GusRobin

where you will really notice the difference is when you open the cabinet to rotate racks, mop, or whatever. The cabinet will recoup its temp in no time.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: CoryNH on November 04, 2010, 12:23:55 PM
Wow this is quite the upgrade... Only took 15 mins to get to 250*.  I did notice that the new element glows much brighter than the original. 

I found the same; the element in the front seems to glow brighter. When I did my upgrade I used two new elements. My smoker was built when they were still using glass covered element; and I decided to replace it with a metal one.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

lumpy

I found the heat shield spot welds very weak so I riveted the all the welds.