Jan's Dry Rub and then some

Started by smoker pete, November 04, 2010, 03:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

My hat's off to Jan, Mrs KyNola, and everyone else who designs and perfects a Rub, Cure, Brine, Marinade, Sauce, etc.  I wouldn't know the first place to start, let alone a pinch of this, a pinch of that - no, remove this and add that ...  Decided to try Jan's Dry Rub after KyNola suggested to use it on chicken.  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?467-Jan-s-Dry-Rub

As I type this I have a whole chicken in the OBS with Jan's Dry Rub skewered on a vertical chicken roaster with 2 hours of hickory.  Will document in another post w/pics.

It took me ½ a day just to find all the spices needed and an hour to measure and mix everything.

As I said ... Here's to all those that provide us with Rubs, Cures, Brines, Marinades, Sauces, and so much more!!  Without them, it would be a little bland around here  ;D ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

pensrock

Looks like you have lots of spices now.  :)

hal4uk

Pete...  You're gonna be just like me soon (minus the REAL insanity)...
If only I had a nickle for every time I had 500 spices out in "the lab", and heard my wife say, "What the... $&^ %^&%*&*&^% &^% are you doing now?"
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

KyNola

Smoker Pete,
I hope you enjoy the rub on your chicken.

If you don't it's JAN'S fault! :D  If you like it, try it on a butt or ribs.  FLBR swears buy it on scrambled eggs and I think he mentioned once that he puts it on hamburgers but I may be mistaken.

Let me know your true reaction.  You won't hurt my feelings at all.  Criticism can be very helpful.

smoker pete

Just finished feasting on smoked chicken à la Jan's Dry Rub and DW and I were floored with the results!!  The combination of the rub and hickory was unbelievable !!!  But let me tell you what I really think  :D  :D

The flavor that was produced is hard to describe other than it made you want to dive in for another bite and ignore the rest of the garnishment.  I believe that I'll have to try it on chicken another couple of dozen times just to make sure  ;D  I'll definitely use it on ribs and on my first butt which I need to do soon.  CRG hit it on the nail when he said that Jan's Rub is mighty nice!  Thanks for the suggestion to use it.

JZ

When using these rubs should the chicken be brined first?

smoker pete

I do not brine my chicken cause I've not found a need for it.  The smoke and a good Dry Rub like Jan's or other seasonings is all that I use.  Others will chime in soon about their experiences.

Welcome to the Forum JZ.  Nice to have you onboard.  Don't be afraid to ask ... We're all here to help!!

JZ

Thanks for the quick reply.

I learned a long time ago that I should not be afraid to ask questions. If I don't ask I won't learn.

That is what I love about these forums. There are always so many people willing to help others improve their skillls.