• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Just a Hot Dog and Sausage Weekend

Started by GusRobin, November 07, 2010, 11:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

I spent the weekend making some hot dogs and sausage.
For the hot dogs I used a mixture of Roadking's recipe from a previous post and the one from Rytek's book, modified a bit. I used all beef chuck (healthy hot dogs). I did screw up when I mixed the ingredients. When I adjusted for the amount of meat I was supposed to use 1 cup of non-fat dry milk but I used 2. No one noticed the difference so I just had another beer and kept quiet.

Stuffed and drying a bit before going into the smoker.

Put in the smoker at 140* for about an hour to dry then 1 hr at 140* with a pecan pucks. No special reason for using pecan except I had a lot of them.

After that I put them in hot water (167*) until they reached an IT of 155*.

Then put them in a pot of ice water to get the temp down. Then dried them and packaged them for freezing. Ready for packaging.

I would of had more pics but was too busy rooting for the Tide to make a comeback --all for naught.

Today I made some breakfast sausage. Here they are stuffed and ready to package. I only have one size of casings so they are a little bigger than normal breakfast sausage.

I had some meat left over so I made a sausage patty. I decided to bread it with some Mies. Here it is cooked and some of the "Ho-Made" sauce that Snelly sent me. Both were excellent.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

FLBentRider

Did the hot dogs have the same texture as the commercial ones? emulsified ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

Yes I emulsified and they even looked like a hot dog ;D. I thought they were a bit dry due to adding too much dry milk, but the wife aqnd everyone else liked it.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Sailor

Nice job on the dogs and sausage.  Seems to be the weekend for sausage.  I put up 10 pounds of fresh Hot Italian, 5 pounds of fresh jalapeno & cheddar and I have 5 pounds of jalapeno & Cheddar with cure in the smoker right now. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

TestRocket

Nice job there Gus! Now maybe time to work on a drying rack?  ;D

GusRobin

Quote from: TestRocket on November 07, 2010, 11:54:48 AM
Nice job there Gus! Now maybe time to work on a drying rack?  ;D
What do you mean? I hand built that one - it just happens to look like two chairs and towel on the floor ;D ;D

SouthernSmoked

Great job there Gus!

I've just purchase a few supplies myself to try making sausage.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little