2nd Smoke was a Boston Butt...

Started by GatorzEye, November 07, 2010, 11:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GatorzEye

I started with a 7 LB Boston Butt.  I injected it with Creole Butter and used a dry rub on the outside.  I was surprised that it only took 6.0 hours to smoke to an IT of 170 degrees.  After reading some posts on the blog... I was under the impression it would take 24 hours or longer to get to the IT of 170 Degrees.  I started the smoke at 6 PM last night and it was done by Midnight.  I used a maverick ET-7 Dual Probe Remote Temperature Monitor worked OK... But, as was I warned... you really need a instant read thermometer as I noticed a 10 degrees difference.  Maverick is good for an estimation but you do need to double check your IT.  In any case, the results were good. It tasted great...  I should have let it get to 200 degrees IT for the fall off the bone perfection.  See Pictures...

This is the Dry Rub Mix.  It's one I modified from the Recipe site.

Injecting with Home Made Creole Butter.  Used Applewood Smoked SeaSalt...  Awesome Flavor...

Dry Rub Applied...  

Fresh out of the Bradley.  From here It went into Foil - Towel - Cooler as Suggested...

Final product was chopped up.  I made three different BBQ Sauces homemade.  One was a Tangy Vinegar Based, a Super Sweet Baby Ray's Style and a Memphis Style.

FLBentRider

Was the 170F IT and the chopped finish your intent?

That was a fast cook. Did you check the IT in multiple locations before you pulled it?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

What temp did you cook this at ? It seems awful quick. What rack did you have it at?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

GatorzEye

I was going for an internal temp of 170 degrees.  I did check it trough out.  The temp on the Bradley ranged from 225 to 240 through out the entire time.  It tasted great- reminded of the BBQ Sandwiches you get in the Midwest where the pork is sliced.  It was my first Butt on the Bradley.  I would have preferred to get it to the point to where it would just pull off the bone.  Any suggestions is appreciated.  I did not want to it dry out by overcooking it.  That's why I went with the 170 Degrees IT.  Should I have cooked it at a lower temp or just let it go to a higher IT.??  In any case, the final product tasted great...

GatorzEye

GatorzEye

After Reading some other posts... I should have left it to internal temp of 200 degrees.  I'm a newbie learning from my mistakes... LOL

FLBentRider

I was going to suggest an IT of 190-200F

A cook temp of 200-225F is suggested.

We all are learning.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

I agree with FLBentRider on time and temp.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TonyL222

I smoked a 7lbs butt last Saturday.  I took about 5 hrs to hit 170 IT, and another 5 to get to 190 IT with a cabinet temp of 225.

KyNola

Where in the heck are you guys finding these 10 hour "quick cook" butts?  I have never and I mean never gotten a butt anywhere near where I wanted it in 10 hours.

I must be doing something wrong or buying the non-instant butt. :)

hal4uk

Quote from: KyNola on November 08, 2010, 12:34:59 PM
I have never and I mean never gotten a butt anywhere near where I wanted it in 10 hours.
Me neither. 
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

watchdog56

I usually take IT temp to 195 then FTC for a couple of hours but it usually takes 15 hours for 1 -12lb butt and about 20 hours for 3- 8lbs. Seems rare to cook that fast. NIce looking meat anyway.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: GatorzEye on November 07, 2010, 12:20:07 PM
After Reading some other posts... I should have left it to internal temp of 200 degrees.  I'm a newbie learning from my mistakes... LOL

You didn't make a mistake, you just learned something different.

A butt is cooked at 170* but like you found out you had to chop it.

Pulled Pork has to get in the 195* range and a good long FTC.

Looks nice.

DTAggie

Sounds like the turbo butt method.  I have had a 9 pounder done in about 12 hours when cooked at 245* and IT of 200*.  Couldn't tell the difference between a 220-225* temp and longer cook time to 200* IT.

TMB

Quote from: DTAggie on November 09, 2010, 08:22:55 PM
Sounds like the turbo butt method.  I have had a 9 pounder done in about 12 hours when cooked at 245* and IT of 200*. 
No ,turbo method is using an SRG infrared cooker and cooking an 8 lb butt in 4 hrs to 203 temp and pulled like it was cooked in a Bradley.  ;D

Sorry I had to!   ;)

Really, chopped butt is very good and his looks good from here. He just didn't let it go long enough to hit the wall and go to the "pulled side"  :D

Problem I'm going to have with my new Bradley is timing things. I mean I'm use to 25 min fried chickens or 30 min raost not 1 3/4 hr  long for a chiken to smoke you know.
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!