Confused. Jerky curing?

Started by Osibisa, July 11, 2005, 03:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osibisa

Hi.
I am just about to have a go at making some Beef Jerky however I am a bit confused by the processes involved.

I have sent for some HM jerky cures etc and the instructions say:-

SMOKEHOUSE: Here again, all home smokers are different in size, wall thickness, location (inside/outside), temperature, wind, heat source, etc. This is where you need to experiment. We recommend smoking the jerky at 200F for 2 ½ hours with smoke on; however, if your smoker will not reach 200F, leave the product in longer – but do not smoke for more than 3 hours until you have tasted the first batch.

Yet, if you use a dehydrator the meat will not reach such a high temperature. So, question, should one try to just "Dry" the meat or should one "Cook" the meat?
Does the cure make the meat safe to eat if it is just dried?
Is one method better than another?
Is one method safer than another and which one will preserve the meat longest?

Peter.

jaeger

Hi Peter!
I have never made jerky with a dehydrator. I have tried samples of jerky made with a dehydrator. I have made lots of jerky with the Bradley and with commercial smoker units. IMHO, smoked jerky is far superior. The smoke is what makes the flavor so great. When I eat jerky from the dehydrator it has the texture of raw dried meat. I really can't get over the fact that it has not reached a safe temperature, especially when the jerky is made with wild game.
To answer your question, IMO the cooked/smoked is far better. When you cook you still are drying the meat. I usually end up with a 50% shrink by weight.
The cooking/smoking instructions you quoted are really pretty good. (I also like to use HM cures for jerky etc..)Here is what I do.
Slice the meat about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Season and cure as per instructions.
Put product in a preheated BS with smoke on from the start. I usually smoke for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. At about 1 1/2 hours I do a complete rotation of the racks. (4 racks) Top to bottom, front to back.
At about the 2 1/2 hour point, I check everything again and start to pull off the pieces that look like the proper texture/dryness. All this rotation and checking lets out heat but it also lets out moisture and so I usually have the BS heat turned up as hot as possible. You will notice with using the seasoning with a cure that the pieces that have been closest to the heating element have the best color.
As I pull off pieces from the racks that look done I try to condense the meat that is left on the racks. Usually with about a 5 - 7 pound batch of jerky the last pieces will be done within 3 - 3 1/2 hours total cook/smoke time.
I recommend lots of taste testing during this procedure. It helps if you have a helper nearby for second and third opinions also.

Hope this helps!!! Let us know how it turns out. [:D][;)][:D]

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Osibisa

Hi Doug
Many thanks for the long reply. I am waiting for the HM kits to come so I thought it a good idea to ask a few questions. I am still a little confused though.
Can I assume that "Original" Jerky, (If there is such a thing), relies upon the curing and cold drying method only, to "Cook" it and make it safely edible? Are the "badies" in the food neutralised by the curing process? Or does the meat require heating?

Sorry to be a pain.

whitetailfan

Osibisa,
jaeger's response is correct for using the hi-mtn spices.  The cure in the package will do well in retarding botulism and you don't want to eat shoe leather.  This product requires refrigeration when completed or at least a very short kitchen counter life.
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Can I assume that "Original" Jerky, (If there is such a thing), relies upon the curing and cold drying method only, to "Cook" it and make it safely edible? Are the "badies" in the food neutralised by the curing process? Or does the meat require heating?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The removal of the greater portion of water from the meat will cut down on opportunity for bacteria and other crap to grow.  To my knowledge early pioneers did not have access to nitrites of today, although somewhere along the way salt peter (potassium nitrate) was intoduced into food preservation.  Drying allowed a longer period before meat would spoil, but it not 100% safe.

In Alberta anyway - any jerky product that is allowed to sit on a shelf and not refrigerated REQUIRES that the meat be cooked to 160deg internal temp (fully cooked), then dehydrated for texture, and the dehydration process must take the water content level down to a certified point as well, which I cannot remember off the top of my head.

I would follow the direction on the HM product for taste and texture, and make sure you refrigerate what you don't eat right away.  If you want to build an incredible shelf life product, then I recommend you consult the internet for the food safety guidelines in your area.

HTH

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Osibisa

Many thanks, whitetailfan .
All is now clear. Many thanks to you all for clearing that up. As I said I am awaiting delivery of the HM goodies. Because of the postage they will cost me twice as much as the product itself but it sounds by all accounts that the HM cure is the way to go. We shall soon see!! I shall let you all know how I get on. Mind you if it's that good I might be looking for an English importer!! I wonder if they HM like one???

Peter.[8D]

SoupGuy

It is definately TRUE that different smokers will turn out different jerky or any other product if the exact same method/timing is the same. You'll just have to experiment.

Here is a basic recipe for making your own cure, which is tons cheaper than buying a commercial product and can easily be modified with additional seasonings to suit your own tastes:

For 5 LBS meat:

2 TBL kosher or pickling salt  (never use iodized salt!)
2 TBL sugar  (the white granulated variety)
3 tsp ground black pepper (freshly ground is BEST)
1 tsp Instacure #1  (sodium nitrite) &lt;&lt;&lt;--- very important!
1 to 1.5 tsp (total) of your favorite spice(s)... such as garlic powder, onion powder, celery seed, paprika, cyanne pepper, chipotle powder, etc etc. Just don't use spices with additional salt in them.

Mix the above COMPLETELY!!

Slice meat uniformly @ 1/4 inch thick. Using a non-metalic container (like a 9x13 inch glass casserol dish) sprinkle both sides of the meat strips and layer it in the dish.

Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator at least overnight or 24 hours.

Smoke meat for @ 2 hours. (about 120 to 140 F is fine) Hickory seems to work best. IF you are not using Instacure #1 (sodium Nitrite) then you MUST smoke/dry at temperatures above 140F!!!

With vents wide open, dry the meat at similar temperatures until the desired dryness is achieved. Depending on your smoker you may need to rotate your racks. The time can vary tremendously based on the thickness you sliced the meat at!!

** An alternate drying method that works well is to insert a toothpick into the end of each slice and hang them on your oven rack. Set the oven to its lowest temerature. Do NOT leave the door open! An electric oven is NOT recommended!!!

It is done when you bend a slice in half and the middle just begins to tear. Any more than this and you'll have leather!

Keep the jerky in the refrigerator or eat it up quickly. NEVER place jerky in a sealed plastic bag unrefrigerated. It will surely mold  [xx(] in a couple days!

Good luck!

Best know not for soup, but rather smoked meats...

deadeye

so about 200 degrees is where I need to start at?? I just put all my meat on the rack and I am waiting for the smoker to heat up help??

Thanks

Derek