• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

question about merinating jerkey

Started by frost89434, November 13, 2010, 12:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frost89434

Normally I bag my jerkery in ziplock bags to let is merinate. I have since gotten a food sealer. Would it be better to put the jerky in the bags and vacuum seal it for a few days?
thanks
Jim
PITA (people eating tasty animals)

FLBentRider

I don't waste a vac bag for a couple of day rest in the fridge.

I use the zip-top bags.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

frost89434

yeah your right. probably not worth it.  Thanks.

Habanero Smoker

You can use a FoodSaver canister instead of the bags. Usually you get a couple with the vacuum sealer. Or you can order one for future use.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Sailor

I have a big plastic food safe bowl that I can put 10 lbs of strips in with a seal down lid.  I have used food saver bags many times on my butts.  I rub them down and vac them up and let sit for 24 hrs in the fridge.  I have several bags that I use for overnight resting.  I cut them extra long.  When I take the meat out after the rest then I wash the bag up and dry it and I will reuse it for the next project.  I have used one bag many time and I still have plenty of room to use it again and again. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

frost89434

Thanks for all the input. I bought a foos sealer the other day and I thought it would work. I was looking through the pamplet that came with it last night and found that they sell a marinator canister. I was thinking about trying that.

Habanero Smoker

Frost;

The marinating containers are somewhat small, so keep that into account.

Sailor,

FoodSaver does make a 6 quart container. Occasionally you will see them on their website, but you will have better luck finding one on eBay. I purchase one a few years back, to vacuum marinate whole chickens, pork shoulder and roast beef, but never got around to using it in that manner. I forgot I had it until now.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Quarlow

Probably don't need to say this Sailor but when you reuse the bags you should pour boiling water in them after you wash them to somewhat sterilize them. At least that is what I do.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Sailor

After I wash the bag I spray the inside with my sanitizer spray and let dry.  Never have had a problem yet.

Quarlow

Sanitizer spray, huh. Is it edible or do you rinse it out before you use them?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Sailor

From my understanding the health department requires restaurants to use a sanitizer solution for the final rinse and it must be at 50 ppm chlorine.  The dishes, pots, pans, utensils and glasses must soak in the solution and then be placed on a rack to air dry.  I figured that if the Health Department requires the 50 ppm it should be good.  So when I finish my grind or stuffing I wash my tub, grinder plates, cutter and auger, tubes, stuffer and my knife and measuring tools and let them soak in my solution.  I have a spray bottle made up that I can spray the hard to get places that will not completely soak in my mixing tub.  I figured the spraying down the inside of a food saver bag and letting it air dry will also kill all the bad stuff if any were in there.  I us the spay to wipe down the granite counter tops as well.  It has not killed me yet  ;D

To get 50 ppm you use 1 cap full of bleach (unscented) to 1 gallon of water.  You can buy test strips that will test the ppm 0-200.  I try to stay between 50 ppm to 75 ppm.  If you get over 100 ppm you can damage stainless steel.

If my understanding is not correct please let me know as I sure don't want to get sick from my cooking or storage of my smoking.

Quarlow

Oh yea, we used that mix for our beer gear when we were making wine and beer.

OBS
BBQ

mow_delon

I still use old ice cream 5 qt buckets.  with the marinade I use, I get 5 lb of sliced meat and the marinade in each bucket.

pikeman_95

If you go on line and google it they make a vacuum attachments that do small and large mouth glass gars. I have acquired a box of 1/2 gallon jars with wide mouths. You can use them again and again and you are dealing with glass. Very easy to clean.
Kirby

JF7FSU

I have been looking for a foodsaver 6 quart container forever.  If anyone knows of a new one for sale please let me know.
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone