• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Not happy with myself

Started by Quarlow, November 14, 2010, 12:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

Last time I used my OBS the puck advance wouldn't work. Luckily I have a spare. So I took it all apart and cleaned it and then put it back together. I suspected the 2 bubba pucks cause it to not work cause of the weight. I bench tested it with a full tube of bisquettes and the 2 bubba'sand it worked fine. Today I fired it up and loaded the pucks and the 2 bubba's and then forgot to keep an eye on it. I guess I should not get on here when smoking. So 1 1/2 hrs in I remember and go to look and sure enough only one puck has gone through and one has burnt to ash and still sitting on the burner. These ribs are not going to be very smokey. The reason I am mad at myself is cause from where I sit I am looking rihgt at the smoker. It looked like the smoke was rolling but now it seems that the steam was rolling as it is only fifty degrees out. What an ass. I guess I will just let the smoke roll till all the pucks are used and then stick them in the oven so I can get to smoking my jerky. I knew I should have set my alarm for 7 am instead I woke at 9:30 and now don't have time to do the ribs properly. I will also be getting the second element very soon as it is taking to long to get the temp back to 225 f. 1 1/2 hrs and still only at 206. Time to modify.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

We all have them moments Q. Did you spray your micro switch with some contact cleaner to see if that would unstick it?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

Yeah I used some alcohol on it with a Q-tip. It was all working fine. And it is working fine now as long as I don't put the bubba's on till the pucks are gone.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

Not trying to knock anybody's product but where did you get the Bubba Pucks from?

Quarlow

They are the low buck ones from Scott. I am going to drill the dickens out of them. They really only need to be rings and a bunch more holes will do the job.

OBS
BBQ

GusRobin

I have an OBS with Bubba pucks from yard and pool. When I made a ham, I had the tube full of pucks and the bubbas on top of them. I had no weight issue. So maybe its the material the pucks are made from.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Quarlow

Yeah mine worked fine in the bench test too. Oh well easy fix. I got a garage full of tools.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

I got mine, both sets from Auber and they are rings.

They were bought at different times and the ring thickness

is different, but they both work great.

Quarlow

OK I give up. Had 4 racks of St. louis ribs in the smoker. Ran 3 hrs of hickory then foiled with a slpash of juice and into the oven so I could get the jerky in the smoker. Checked them after 1 hr. and then set them for one more hour at 250f. Pulled them out to sauce and Q them and they were falling of the bone. Overdone, sheepdip (only I didn't say that). So I sauced them up and on to the grill just to get rid of that boiled meat thing from being in tinfoil. Went out to look at them and said 2 more minutes and I will flip them. Look out after one minute and the smoke is curling out of the Q lid. Yup $25 bucks worth of ribs fudged (Only I didn't say that). I give up

OBS
BBQ

FLBentRider

Quote from: Quarlow on November 14, 2010, 06:08:31 PM
OK I give up. Had 4 racks of St. louis ribs in the smoker. Ran 3 hrs of hickory then foiled with a slpash of juice and into the oven so I could get the jerky in the smoker. Checked them after 1 hr. and then set them for one more hour at 250f. Pulled them out to sauce and Q them and they were falling of the bone. Overdone, sheepdip (only I didn't say that). So I sauced them up and on to the grill just to get rid of that boiled meat thing from being in tinfoil. Went out to look at them and said 2 more minutes and I will flip them. Look out after one minute and the smoke is curling out of the Q lid. Yup $25 bucks worth of ribs fudged (Only I didn't say that). I give up

That sucks Q.

I use the broiler for that.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Shred that meat off the rib bones and dr it up with some q sauce and may yourself a rib sammie.

It's all good.

Quarlow

Yup should have. I guess it is creamed corn and mashed potatoes for dinner.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 14, 2010, 06:14:37 PM
Shred that meat off the rib bones and dr it up with some q sauce and may yourself a rib sammie.

It's all good.
Too burnt even for sauce. Fu#$%^%%&&^&*^^k it.

OBS
BBQ

StickyDan

I feel yer pain Q.   I almost always catch the ribs on fire when I grill em after the smoke.  I usually burn the chicken too!  I think it's got something to do with drinkin' all day while smokin'... 

Habanero Smoker

Are the bisquettes jamming or just not feeding? If they are jamming then I would think it is the bubba pucks, but if the bisquettes are not feeding at all I would suspect their is another problem, or another problem that is compounded by the weight of the bubba pucks..

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)