• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

All the talk about Greg's Spicy sticks, I figure I better try it

Started by mikeradio, November 15, 2010, 02:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeradio

I needed 10lbs burger for the sticks I also needed some burger, so I started with 2 chucks weighing in at 40lbs

All cut ready to grind

Course grind

Fine grind

All sealed in nice 2 lb packages

All the wet and dry ingredients measured out

My new 20lb stuffer

Everything all mixed up including the ECA

All stuffed and hanging in the smoker

All ready to cut up into smaller pieces

The sticks turned out great, the ECA really added a different flavor.

I did have trouble with the stuffer, the meat kept blowing by the seal.
The recipe called for 1 cup of water, I wonder if I should have added more.

classicrockgriller

Looks great Mike and I see the Big Smoker is taking on a new color.

Thanks for some great pics.

Sailor

Whoot!  Nice job Mike.  I have the 5lb Grizzly stuffer and I had a hard time pushing the mix thru too.  At some points I thought I would strip the gears.  Never had blow back butt it was a hard push.  More water might be the way to go to get the mix to flow a bit better.  I just eased off the crank a bit and let it flow the way it wanted to flow and them put a bit more pressure to keep it flowing.

Will be making more next week and will add a bit more water and see if that helps out.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

lumpy

dAWGS

looks good.    when you say coarse anf fine grind.   what sizes do you use?

mikeradio

The grinder came with a 4.5mm and a 7mm plates.  Cabelas says fine = 4.5 mm, medium = 7mm, coarse = 10mm

So I actually used a medium and a fine plate 7mm then 4.5mm

I did buy another cutting blade so I have a blade for each plate, I read its best to keep them a matched set.  The blade and plate wear together

pensrock

The only time I had trouble stuffing the sticks was the one time I mixed and let it sit till the next day before stuffing. Then it was very tough to stuff. Since I started stuffing as soon as the ECA was mixed in, I have had no problems stuffing the sticks. I then allow them to sit in the fridge for a good day or so before smoking. I also now have been adding a little more Cayenne and Chipotle to kick it up some more. The posted recipe was so everyone could make and enjoy it, I like it spicier.  ;D

KyNola

Nice work Mike!  They look very consistently stuffed and the color is great.  Looking forward to trying my hand at stuffing once I retire.

squirtthecat

KyNola

And I've got a LEM stuffer and Gander Mountain grinder......still in the box. :D

NePaSmoKer

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

bigcatdaddy

Looks great!!!  I'm still waiting on my LEM Stuffer to get here..........I hope they put it in a box!!!!! ;)

BCD

mikeradio

Thanks everyone

The jury is still out on the ECA, some do not care for it and others really like the twang
it adds to the taste of the sticks.

I agree pensrock my next batch I will add some more heat, its good to make the
posted recipe first then you have a base line to work off of.

FLBentRider

Quote from: KyNola on November 16, 2010, 07:08:05 AM
And I've got a LEM stuffer and Gander Mountain grinder......still in the box. :D

Mine are still @ the store.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!