• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Timing, temp questions

Started by blnowlin, November 17, 2010, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blnowlin

Hi there,
Got my original smoker yesterday, seasoned it, bought a couple of small boston butt pork roasts to
smoke for my first time out.
The butts are about 3.3 pounds each, biggest I could get off the shelf.  I think we'll try the store bought
powder rub, overnight in the fridge, then rub with cheap yellow mustard and powder rub again? 
Sound right?

So, with 2 butts at 3.3 lbs each...... 

what smoker temp? 

and how long? 

final IT temp should be???

Safer to do one and freeze the other for now? both would fit on same rack easy.

THANKS!!!

FLBentRider

Quote from: blnowlin on November 17, 2010, 10:05:41 AM
Hi there,
Got my original smoker yesterday, seasoned it, bought a couple of small boston butt pork roasts to
smoke for my first time out.
The butts are about 3.3 pounds each, biggest I could get off the shelf.  I think we'll try the store bought
powder rub, overnight in the fridge, then rub with cheap yellow mustard and powder rub again? 
Sound right?

So, with 2 butts at 3.3 lbs each...... 

what smoker temp? 

and how long? 

final IT temp should be???

Safer to do one and freeze the other for now? both would fit on same rack easy.

THANKS!!!

You are looking for a final IT of 190-200F

I smoke them @200-225F

Time - This is the variable that  we have the most trouble with. Those are not very big, maybe six to eight hours. The bigger and/or stubborn ones can go 18,20,24 hours.

If you have a remote thermometer, that will minimize your door openings. figure add 30 minutes every time you open the door.

Check the IT in multiple places before you take it out of the smoker.

then FTC for an hour or two, pull and enjoy.

I'd do them both. you should also figure on about a 40% weight loss on each roast.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

blnowlin

Yeehaw!   That 6-8 hours was what i wanted to hear....... been reading up on stuff here
for several days but no one that i could find had done such small butts.
As a newbie, was trying to avoid an overnighter for the first time!!

Does the rub, mustard, rub sound right?

THANKS!!!!!

That picture is cruel, when I'm looking forward to freezer food for lunch!

FLBentRider

I just rub them and into the fridge - I'l use a CT slather sometimes.

The mustard thing works, I'd rather use CT.

Take the butt out of the fridge about an hour before you want to start, and turn on the smoker/smoke generator then too. on MAX.

You can turn it down after a few hours if you need to.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TestRocket

FLBR has you on track.

I do CYM and then rub and then plastic wrapped in the fridge over night! Good Luck!

FLBentRider

Quote from: TestRocket on November 17, 2010, 10:52:40 AM
... then plastic wrapped in the fridge over night! Good Luck!

That is important. If you use foil, the salt in the rub will react with the foil and eat holes in it.

Not good eats!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

blnowlin

I try not to wrap in foil for the fridge, never knew what damaged the foil though!

What's CT?

B

blnowlin

Thank you, looks interesting.   Kind of a vinegary sauce or sweet?  Big deal around here is Head Country BBQ
sauce but I think it's a little too sweet.
Can't wait to try it out....get everything ready this evening and start it up early in the morning.

This is a great forum, with great people!   Thanks for all your help!
B

FLBentRider

Quote from: blnowlin on November 17, 2010, 11:28:58 AM
Thank you, looks interesting.   Kind of a vinegary sauce or sweet?  Big deal around here is Head Country BBQ
sauce but I think it's a little too sweet.
Can't wait to try it out....get everything ready this evening and start it up early in the morning.

This is a great forum, with great people!   Thanks for all your help!
B

It has a Vinegar twang, paprika - believe it or not there is no mustard in it. I can look up the ingredients when I get home.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

It's a cooking sauce - as it has flour in it.   You can't really use it as a BBQ sauce or a dipping sauce.  It has to cook..

Very good stuff..  I buy it by the case.

KyNola

Can you lay your hands on Head Country Championship Rub?  If so, that's what you should go with on those butts!

blnowlin

Yep, easily had around here, grocery stores or at the restaurant.   The Head Country BBQ restaurant is around the corner and about a 3/4 mile away....

The butts went into the pre-heated smoker about 8:30 this morning and should be done smoking around
noon.   Will change the water, put in the temp probe and let it go til it hits about 190-200 IT....
Will take pix, sure hope it tastes good!!!!!!!!!
B

KyNola

Quote from: blnowlin on November 18, 2010, 07:46:01 AM
Yep, easily had around here, grocery stores or at the restaurant.   The Head Country BBQ restaurant is around the corner and about a 3/4 mile away....

The butts went into the pre-heated smoker about 8:30 this morning and should be done smoking around
noon.   Will change the water, put in the temp probe and let it go til it hits about 190-200 IT....
Will take pix, sure hope it tastes good!!!!!!!!!
B
Dang, wish I could could just run to the grocery and get Head Country Rub.  None to be found around where I live in Western KY.

ArnieM

Make sure you probe both butts toward the end.  Even though they're about the same size you can always run into an ornery one that might take longer.

You can easily FTC for several hours and still have hot meat.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.