Storage

Started by drjac, July 19, 2005, 12:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drjac

I just purchased a BSSS and have used it twice, once for smoked crab meat and the next day for salt and horseradish crusted pork chops. Things went very very well, but now the smoker sits on the deck next to the grill. Am I going to wreck it leaving it outside?

Find 'em, Catch 'em, or Cure 'em, we do it all.

Oldman

If it can get wet IMO yes you will ruin the unit. Did you get a cover for it?

If not you can get one from <b><font color="blue">Chez.</font id="blue"></b> It will help but I still would not leave out my unit in a good rain storm.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

car54

Phone Guy

I leave mine on the back patio with its Bradley cover and under an umbrella. Here where its 112 deg. (yesterday) I dont want it to melt.[8D]

Foam Steak

I keep mine in a former horse barn.  I would hate to get water up under the bottom and mess up some of those electronics. I think this would be a real concern when the snow starts piling up.  

I like to smoke in the barn as well.  When I was a kid sometimes I could be found smoking behind the barn, but that is a different story.  Anyway, the reason I now smoke in the barn is because it is so danged windy out here, and I can smoke anytime with no regard to the current weather.  Check out that link from Car54.  I think there are some great storage ideas there.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />I leave mine on the back patio with its Bradley cover and under an umbrella. Here where its 112 deg. (yesterday) I dont want it to melt.[8D]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Guy of Phone, sounds like you have some natural cold smoking going on there.  I'm from Lake Havasu City Arizona on the Colorado, I do know what you mean.

DJ, do get a cover.  The one from Bradley works well.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

drjac

Thanks all and that is what i was afriad of.

Yep got the cover and it helps but water will still be the issue. Just gonna have to put a beer fridge in the garage and move the smoker out there for the winter. Good thing the garage is heated, heck w/ heat, water, the smoker and soon a beer fridge Ill only have to go to the house for #2 lol

Thanks again.

Doc

Find 'em, Catch 'em, or Cure 'em, we do it all.

Habanero Smoker

I have left mine outside all year round. I just have the Bradley cover, and it sits on a cart. Snow has not been a problem, since it does sit on a cart that is about 3 feet high. When I clean off the porch after a snow storm, I just brush off the BS and cart. The only problem I notice is that the cover is fading[:)]

Someday I do plan to build a cabinet for it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />I have left mine outside all year round. I just have the Bradley cover, and it sits on a cart. Snow has not been a problem, since it does sit on a cart that is about 3 feet high. When I clean off the porch after a snow storm, I just brush off the BS and cart. The only problem I notice is that the cover is fading[:)]

Someday I do plan to build a cabinet for it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mine is also fading. Its the UV rays and all that sun.[:(!]

jaeger

drjac,
I keep my Bradley on a cart w/wheels. I just roll it outside when I want to smoke. If it is raining or snowing, I sometimes open the garage door and and have a fan nearby to direct the smoke out of the garage.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

hageln

When I purchased my Bradley smoker I often found it difficult to complete the smoke cycle when the wind picks up and the rain appears. I have an old single door fridge that has been cleaned out to the steel with holes in the sides for 5/8 dowling which holds 100lbs of home made sausage for smoking. With the instulation of 3/4 plywood for a self, the fridge now serves as a shelter while smoking, converts easily back to the large smoker and ends up with a lock for storage of the Bradley.

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Eric.  I do what Hab does and never have problems with water, and we both live in cold and wet climes (NY and MA).  My BS is under a covered porch, so the sun doesn't hit it directly, and I haven't noticed any fade yet.  I've had it less time than Hab, though.  My BS is on a light but sturdy folding plastic stand from Home Depot (&lt;$30).  No wheels, but easy to drag around and store if I want to.  Eventually, I plan to get a rolling storage cabinet to put it on.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA