• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Easy Hunters Sausage

Started by NePaSmoKer, November 21, 2010, 06:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

This is easy and a small batch....Try it you might like it.  I will post pics of this sometime this week.

1.98 lb pork butt
0.22 lb lean beef
(grind the 2 meats through med plate 1 time) You can grind again through a 1/8" plate if you wish

3 tsp salt (non iodized)
1/2 tsp cure #1
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp sugar or Trehalose (opt)
1 glove garlic crushed
1/2 tsp crushed juniper berries
1/2 cup cold distilled water
32mm hog casing 1-2 hanks.  Rinse & Soak in lukewarm water with 2 T clear vinegar added.

Add 2 T of water to ground meat from the 1/2 cup, Set rest of water aside for later. NOTE: Add the cure to the water and dissolve.
Mix in garlic, juniper & pepper, mix well. When this is mixed well add the salt, sugar and rest of the water to the meat and mix well. Careful not to over mix and get the meat warm to fat.

Stuff into casings about 5-8" long. Hang sausage at room temp for 2-3 hours.

Start smoker with smoke (your choice) at 122* for 80-90 mins bumping the heat gradually (PID) until you have 175* (smoke all the time if you like)

Keep the heat and smoke going until you have an IT of the sausage between 154-158*
At this point the sausage will be ready to eat.

OR.........................These 2 last steps are OPT  HOWEVER DO NOT ATTEMPT WITHOUT CURE ADDED TO THE MEAT

You can, air-cool at room temperature to 86* inside room temperature. Or hang on smoke sticks in the room until the next day allowing more moisture to escape from inside of sausage.

OR

You can smoke again the next day with warm smoke, 86* from 3-12 hours until it developed the dark brown color.
After the above, store at 60*-65* in a dark place for 6 - 8 days (until the sausage obtained 60 - 65 % of its initial weight).

The finished sausage is dry sausage and does not have to be refrigerated and you didnt need all the fancy smancy RH now did ya  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Nice recipe, and the ingredients look like something I would like to try someday. Just one observation; this is not a dried sausage, it is a semi-dry sausage. Dried sausages are never cooked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 22, 2010, 02:09:40 AM
Nice recipe, and the ingredients look like something I would like to try someday. Just one observation; this is not a dried sausage, it is a semi-dry sausage. Dried sausages are never cooked.

Yes i know

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on November 21, 2010, 06:17:52 PM
....and you didnt need all the fancy smancy RH now did ya  ;D

...but I had so much fun building my fancy smancy RH controlled unit :o you mean I didn't NEED to!?  Damn...  and here I was thinking if you can accomplish the same job with a bigger hammer, then by jaysus, you need a bigger hammer!!!  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: ExpatCanadian on November 22, 2010, 05:52:58 AM

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on November 21, 2010, 06:17:52 PM
....and you didnt need all the fancy smancy RH now did ya  ;D

...but I had so much fun building my fancy smancy RH controlled unit :o you mean I didn't NEED to!?  Damn...  and here I was thinking if you can accomplish the same job with a bigger hammer, then by jaysus, you need a bigger hammer!!!  :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Dude,  you got a pile driver.     ;D
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

NePaSmoKer

if i had a cabinet like yours when not doing sausage it would have my ceeeegars in it  :D ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on November 22, 2010, 03:49:36 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 22, 2010, 02:09:40 AM

Yes i know

Oh! I now see how you are using the wording "dry sausage".

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)