To rub or not to Rub

Started by beardude, November 23, 2010, 01:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beardude

I'm going with smoked turkey's for thanksgiving day and I'm looking for the groups opinions on rubs. I ran a 12 lb turkey a few weeks ago as a test run so now I'm prepping on filling the smoker up with 3 for the big day (converted commercial fridge) I've got the brines picked out and everything ready but would like y'alls thoughts. I learned NOT to ftc the bird from the first run (skin came out like industrial rubber) and will "tent" these ones.

So to rub or not and anyone got a favorite for turkey?

Also will 3 turkeys of equal size change the cooking time if the smoker is powerful enough to maintain temp? I run 2 2000W elements along with the 500 on the smoke generator.

Input and thoughts appreciated

Habanero Smoker

I always add a rub to my turkey. The type of rub depends on the flavor I am looking for. Around Thanksgiving I always go for a North East flavor, which would be mainly a rub with many herbs.

Here is one of my favorite rubs for turkey (I often mix it with unsalted butter and apply under the skin as well as on top):
Basic Poultry Rub
Sometimes I reduce the salt by 50%.

As for whether it will take extra time. I'm sure it will, but that will depend on how fast your smoker can recovery to your set cooking temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann