I'm a bone head!!

Started by chungne, July 20, 2005, 01:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chungne

This should give everyone a laugh...somewhere between moving to a new house and the last time I used my BS, I missed cleaning my BS...It's been 4 months...I opened it up last night and almost cried.  The thing is a mess...there are holes ate through the inner walls where the V drip pan sits.  I cleaned everything but, with the holes I believe that the cooker is unsafe to use.  My plan is to cover the holes or re-line the entire cooker with stainless steel.
The holes must have been caused by the acids in the meat.  Anyone had this problem?  Does my fix sound right?  Thanks for the help.  Feel free to slam me over my stupidity....my wife has let me have it with both barrels.

MallardWacker

Chung Dude,

Dang if thats the only thing the wife has shot you for--you are a lucky man.  I'm always reminded of stuff that occured 20 years ago.  Man feel sorry for you.  Got any pics with the damage?  There is enough brain thrust around here to probably come up with a solution.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Foam Steak

I bet your plan would work.  I can't see any show stoppers.  What other options do you really have?  Give it a shot.

You also say you just moved to a new house?  Have you had a housewarming party yet?  Drop the hint you want a new smoker for a housewarming gift.  May I reccomend Stainless Steel.

Some guys make there own smokers using old refrigerators or something similar.  You allready have a smoke generator, maybe you could go that route if plan A or B don't work.

Good luck

Arcs_n_Sparks

I'd get the tin snips out with the pop rivet tool and start patching. Should be back smoking in no time.....

arcs_n_sparks

JJC

Welcome, Chungne, and sorry to hear about your problem.  I'm going to start cleaning mine more often, now.  Hope the advice you've received gets you back smoking soon!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

Mind if I call you Wang?[;)],

I'm not laughing, trashing your smoker sucks, no matter how it happened![:(]

It was probably the combination of the fat from the meat & the ash from the bisquettes. Fat + ash = lye & that will eat through metal pretty quick if not diluted by cleaning.

Sorry for your loss, please let us know about your solution as I'm guessing you won't be the last person to experience this. That way, we can hopefully pass it on & help others either avoid the matter entirely, or fix it in a tested manner.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

Chez,

Did you get the email I sent you...actually, have you ever gotten any emails I have sent you?  

Private me if you haven't.  I have some questions for you.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Phone Guy

Its always sad when you loose a member of the Family like that.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arcs_n_sparks</i>
<br /><font size="2">I'd get the tin snips out with the pop rivet tool and start patching. Should be back smoking in no time.....

arcs_n_sparks</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I agree this is would be the fastest and easiest fix.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Chez,

Did you get the email I sent you...actually, have you ever gotten any emails I have sent you?  

Private me if you haven't.  I have some questions for you.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think I have. The best place to send them is the L-tone addy, those I will see every day. I wasn't going to respond until I had actual answers.[:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

chungne

Update....I repaired the damage with speed tape....I work for a major airline and we use this tape on the aircraft....I tried a piece first in the oven at 400 degrees and had no problems....I relined about 1/2 of the smoker and so far it seems to be working.....only time will tell

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chungne</i>
<br />Update....I repaired the damage with speed tape....I work for a major airline and we use this tape on the aircraft....I tried a piece first in the oven at 400 degrees and had no problems....I relined about 1/2 of the smoker and so far it seems to be working.....only time will tell

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

OK my question is... Which of our airlines have planes that are taped together? [:(]

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chungne</i>
<br />Update....I repaired the damage with speed tape....I work for a major airline and we use this tape on the aircraft....I tried a piece first in the oven at 400 degrees and had no problems....I relined about 1/2 of the smoker and so far it seems to be working.....only time will tell

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My concern would be any chemical residue and fumes being given off from the tape under high temperatures, and possibly contaminating the meat. Maybe one or two small pieces to cover up small areas would not be harmful, but that sounds like a lot of tape you are using. Do you know what the tape and the adhesive is made of?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chungne

there was a msds saftey sheet on this product....it has a temp rating of 500 degrees....i didn't see anything harmfull in the listing........as far as using it in the aviation industry...it is mainly of temp repairs after filling of small dent on the aircraft the tape is used to cover the filler...the stuff sticks pretty good...considering the jet flies at 500 mph