• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Cure confusion

Started by bundy, November 26, 2010, 09:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

Bought some High Country Seasoning today that came with a cure pkg. It says use 5/8 tsp per 5# and it says on the cure pkg 6.25% sn, so I have always used 1 tsp per 5#, Kind of confussing for a NEWBY. ??? ??? ???

punchlock

I just looked this up and it does say 5/8 of a tsp? Who uses 5/8 of a tsp as a measure in a recipe? You would think they would have given a measure by weight.

Sorry can't help but I am sure someone will be along shortly...

punchlock

I just did a measure with my scale and using my 1/4 tsp (it's the smallest one I have) I get 4 grams.

Hope this helps and I hope you have a kitchen scale.

Sailor

I think I would use 1 tsp of cure per 5lbs

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

BuyLowSellHigh

I have no experience with Hi-Country seasonings or kits, but the chemist in me had to check this out.  It does seem weired.  From their instructions you're right - they publish 5/8 tsp of the Cure per 5# when used with their seasoning kit.  Separately, they sell their Cure Packets (18 g each), which appear to be the same as they incldue in their kits.  For the Cure Packets alone they recommend the usual equivalent of 1 tsp per 5 # of meat) -- one packet (18 g) per 15 lbs (one tsp of Cure # 1 / pink salt is 5.6 g (~ 6).
http://www.hicountry.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16551&category_id=268

One thing I notice is that their kits include ascorbic acid (good old vitamin C) as an ingredient.  Ascorbic acid is a common cure accelerator used at ~ 500 ppm in combination with sodium nitrite.  MY WAG is that in their kits they have intentionally reduced the recommended amount of sodium nitrite because of the inclusion of ascorbic acid.  If you could measure 5/8 tsp you would be getting about 100 ppm of sodium nitrite.

You might want to call them and ask  (1-800-433-3916)

punchlock - I'm curious what you were measuring.  For Cure # 1 / pink salt, 1 tsp is about 6 g.  If you're using a fairly high capacity kitchen scale (like 9-13 lb), it may have trouble with accuracy at very small amounts.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Hoss

Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.

Habanero Smoker

Hoss;

Thanks for your links, but the first link is good for most liquid conversions. The second is just to generic to use for a specific items. For example one ounce of ground sage would take up more volume then one ounce of salt.

A better type of calculator(s) to use would be the type located at the following link.
Calculators

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hoss

And thanks for that one Hab.  Was looking for something like that and couldn't find it.  Bookmarked now though.
Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.

punchlock

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on November 26, 2010, 11:28:35 AM

punchlock - I'm curious what you were measuring.  For Cure # 1 / pink salt, 1 tsp is about 6 g.  If you're using a fairly high capacity kitchen scale (like 9-13 lb), it may have trouble with accuracy at very small amounts.

Yes your right that is the kind of scale I have, it's good to know about the accuracy...

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: punchlock on November 26, 2010, 03:51:22 PM
Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on November 26, 2010, 11:28:35 AM

Yes your right that is the kind of scale I have, it's good to know about the accuracy...
For measuring small amounts, such as cures, spices, yeast, etc., I have one of these - cheap and works well.

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here