More leftover Turkey ideas.. (with MIES)

Started by squirtthecat, November 26, 2010, 05:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Turkey/Gravy/Veggies/Stuffing Cupcakes!

We'll start with the end shot, and then flashback..

squirtthecat

Here is the recipe as I found it.

QuoteMini Turkey Pot Pies
This is a great recipe for Thanksgiving or Christmas leftovers.
3 to 6 servings

·         2 cups prepared stuffing or stove top turkey mix. (If stove top, follow the directions on the box.)
·         1 egg
·         1 cup turkey gravy (store bought in the can is fine if there isn't any leftover gravy)
·         1 cup chunk cooked turkey
·         1/2 cup cooked peas and carrots, or other vegetables of choice. Any favorites or leftovers will do nicely with this recipe.
·         1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1.      Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
2.      Coat a 6-8cup muffin tin with non-stick Pam or some other oil.
3.      In a medium bowl, combine the stuffing and egg; (after the stuffing has cooled down to medium warm temp, as you don't want it so hot that it cooks the egg when mixing it in. If you see the egg turning white it is too hot.)
4.      Mix well.
5.      Place equal amounts of stuffing into each muffin cup and, using your greased up fingers, press the stuffing over the bottoms and up the sides of the cups to form crusts or little cups to hold the other ingredients listed below.
6.      In another medium bowl, combine the meat, carrots, gravy and peas;
7.      mix well and pour equally into the cups
8.      Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until heated through.
9.      Remove from the muffin tin, and serve.

(Better to let them stand for just a few to solidify before removing from the tin.) Great little snacks here.

squirtthecat

So I did all that, except the gravy/veggies/turkey mixture was quite runny.  So I dumped in 2 T of Mies breading and stirred it over low heat.   Magic..

Into the 'cups'.

30 minutes later.

squirtthecat

2 'cupcakes' is one serving.

They came out pretty clean.   Next time, I'll put some foil squares down in each cup to help lift them out easier.

They were really good! 

ArnieM

Looks good squirt and a good idea.  So, who cleaned the pan?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Soaking now..

This was one of those 'air bake' pans.  There are 2 layers of metal w/ cushion of air between them.   It is supposed to control hotspots/etc. - but I think it just adds to the cooking time.

ArnieM

Don't soak the pan.  Just give it to Gracie.  ;D

You have given me an idea though.  I'll chop my veggies and turkey finer then add the Mies and make some sorta sticky <whatever> balls.  I'll do them on parchment paper at about 400 and see how they come out.  I have to get rid of the leftovers and Matty can only eat so much.
-- Arnie

Smokin Soon

I would think if you were to do the "balls", might try to add Bisquick or some self rising flour. Could be interesting!

SL2010

That is awesome great idea ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ArnieM

That's a good thought SS.  I have Bisquick, self rising flour and baking powder.  On further thought, I might try dropping them into the hot oil fryer.
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

I think leftovers + Bisquick + Mies + whatever would make for some fun results...

Run with it!   

KyNola

Jan made a casserole similar to those cupcakes.  Good stuff!

Those "cakes" look good Pat!

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 26, 2010, 06:44:54 PM

I think leftovers + Bisquick + Mies + whatever would make for some fun results...

Run with it!   

I'll probably give this a shot tomorrow or Sunday.  I'll try to keep track of the ingredients; I'm, a dump and look man.

If they come out good, I'll post pics.  If not I'll hide for a week or so.  :(

I'm not all that creative so I thank Pat for the idea.
-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

pensrock

Um..... wheres the bacon?

Those do look really good.  :)