• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Locked and loaded!!

Started by bigcatdaddy, November 30, 2010, 01:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigcatdaddy

New Cabelas grinder just showed up from the UPS man.  I think I now have all the components to start sausage and stick making.  I was just wondering...I have some left over deer burger in the freezer that I'm wanting to use up.  It's pretty lean with a little beef suet in it.  What do you guys recommend if I wanna start making some sticks with it?  Should I add some pork butts to the mixture?

Thanks

BCD

pensrock

I would add at least 10% pork depending on how much beef suet was added in the begining. You can't go wrong with too much fat but too little is like eating cardboard. 80/20 venison/fat ratio works pretty well.

ArnieM

I'm with pens.  Get a butt.  Trim off some of the fat for the sausage and freeze the rest if you're not gonna use it soon.  Or go to a local butcher and get some fat scraps.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

bigcatdaddy

That's kinda what I figured.  For every 4# deer I will add 1# pork

Thanks gentlemen!!!
BCD

RAF128

I use 30% pork and 70 % lean venison.   That's what was recommended to me by a sausage maker that was making it for me.   I've since started making my own and  that's what I use.   I buy what the butcher calls 50/50.   Half fat, half pork.   It's always worked good for me.