• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Generator arrived Jerky has begun!

Started by Friar_Tuck, December 01, 2010, 08:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friar_Tuck

Ok, my new smoke generator arrived the other day, so I took 10 pounds of jerky sliced venison out of the freezer to make a batch.

Here is the cure/seasoning I like to use.  There are plenty of different ones out there, but this is carried locally in my little town, so I use it.  Choose whatever works for you, but if you are going to smoke it, make sure it actually has a cure in it.

In the above picture I have the spices and cure combined in the shaker, but not yet mixed together.

Then you just lay the slices out.  Notice I like nice big slices of meat.  That is a full size cookie sheet they are on.

I also like to use the best meat for jerky.  If you use poor cuts of meat, you end up with fat or tendon in the jerky.
Then you just sprinkle some of the mix onto both sides, trying to use it all up on the batch you have prepared.  If you end up with some left over just mix it in well with the slices in a bowl.

then put the slices in a seal-able bag, and put them in the fridge for 24 hours to let the cure so its thing, and the spices get into the meat well.  I like to turn the bags over whenever I go to the fridge, so with me they get turned often  ;D

That is where I am at as of tonight.  Man I am not good at waiting  :-\

Tomorrow I will post smoking pics, and some finished product photos.
Only problem is, with a 10 pounds batch, you need to be quick with the camera, as it seems to go fast around here!

Jim

DTAggie

ArnieM

Gee. I was worried that you were out of power and you just got a generator.  :D

Looks good.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KevinG

Quote from: ArnieM on December 01, 2010, 08:34:39 PM
Gee. I was worried that you were out of power and you just got a generator.  :D

Looks good.

Great minds think alike, thought the same thing myself  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Friar_Tuck

I guess I need to be careful about my titles  ::)
Well, finally the wait is over, and I can proceed.
10 pounds of slices perfectly fills my 5 racks.

And into the smoker they go.

You will have to excuse the photo, as it is hard to take a clear picture with that Bradley smoke generator doing its thing, belching out clouds of great smelling smoke.

Friar_Tuck

A couple hours of smoke, now its time to let them finish off.
It is a balmy 7 degrees here today, so the temp in the smoker is peaking at about 140.
I guess I will have to plug in the extra element before I do the sausages in the next few days.

Friar_Tuck

Done!

This smoke generator is the clear deal!
used special blend, for 3 hours, and it has a nice smoke flavor, without the least bit of bitter.  One quick tip: Take it out before you think it is done.  If you leave it in until it feels dry, it will be a hard dry crust of meat.
Jim

DTAggie

Mighty fine indeed.  What kind of cabinet is that?

classicrockgriller

Looks like backstrap! Sweet!

That ought to be some fine Jerky!

Friar_Tuck

Thanks guys,
The cabinet is a Frigidaire.
It is an old refrigerator, converted into a smoker.
I just bought the smoke generator for it, and now it is perfect!
Yes, those were backstraps, I like to have nice big clear chunks of jerky, and the straps give them to me.
I like to use these as gifts, so the vanity in me wants them to be the best I can make.
Tomorrow, summer sausage, or sticks if my new tube shows up in time.
Thanks again,
Jim

DTAggie

Friar, do you need my address or my FedEx account No. to send me some jerky and some of the sausage you are making tomorrow?

classicrockgriller

Quote from: DTAggie on December 02, 2010, 07:31:24 PM
do you need my FedEx account No.

I do! To mail my Christmas presents. Thanks! ;D

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment