frozen meats

Started by okie smokin, July 23, 2005, 08:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okie smokin

Butcher froze my bacon sides. Can I thaw them out and still use them to cure and smoke. Thank you[?]

Oldman

The only problem I know of is once frozen you cannot re-freeze until they are cured and smoked.

There is one more question I would find out about. Did he really freeze them or did they come in already frozen?  If they came in frozen I don't know if I would use them as you might not be able to tell how long they have been frozen. If for some reason they have been frozen for 90-120 day I would pass on them. Also how are they packaged?

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

okie smokin

THE HOG WAS MY OWN I HAD BUTCHERED WEDNESDAY 7/20  
THE SIDES WERE ROLLED UP WRAPPED IN PLASTIC AND FROZE PRETTY QUICKLEY IN HIS BIG FREEZER.

jaeger

Welcome to the forum okie smokin!!!

Your bellies should be in great shape for smoking. Make sure the skin (rein) has been removed. I would also square up the bellies if needed and save the trimmings for grinding with sausage or mixing with your next wild game grinding if needed.

Good luck, and let us know how the bacon turns out!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Foam Steak

I wouldnt worry about it.  Start makin bacon!  Or you could leave them frozen and make it later at a time of your choice.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Foam Steak</i>
<br />I wouldnt worry about it.  Start makin bacon! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">WORD to the Foam man....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

sunny2000usausa

from one new member to another.  WELCOME  [:D]

nsxbill

sunny2000usausa

Welcome to the forum...nice to hear from another RN!  

I've retired x2, once from military and once from State, and now working just part-time doing medical triage.  Love nursing, and the buckets of money they throw at us out in California makes it hard to retire!  

Check out //www.continuingeducation.net.  I do one or two sessions a year and write off the trips.  Satisfies licensure, and cruising is always fun!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.