arcs_n_sparks

Started by Oldman, July 24, 2005, 04:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

manxman who lives across the pond ask me a question.
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="3">One question, when Americans travel over to Europe presumably they  take a
travel adapter with them to allow them to use phone chargers, hairdryers
etc. etc on european electrical systems?

One of these travel adapters may suffice to run the fan off?</font id="size3"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This was my reply. Please correct me where I'm wrong.

<i>Paul,
I don't see why not? Unless the adapter has a limited duty cycle. We are talking less than one amp of power to run the motor under full load. The fans I'm using are for motors of 1/150 HP - 1/170 HP. The motor  we are using is 1/70 HP so there is just no load on it... so you should be well under that one amp.

A hair dryer uses much-O power. Check with someone but I do believe the conversion of Watts to Amps is governed by the equation Amps = Watts divided by Volts

For example 12 watts/12 volts = 1 amp

Most hair dryers I know of are around 1600 watts. So with that in mind if we take 1600 watts and divide  it by 120 volts then the amps are around 13. How this works out on your side of the pond I don't know.

I think it is time to call upon arcs_n_sparks. I will post the question to him.
Raye </i>

Thanks for your help~~!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Arcs_n_Sparks

manxman,

From an electrical consumption point of view, Oldman is correct. There are a number of converters that will power toasters, hair-dryers, etc... and typically will support over 1600 watts.

Where I would be less certain is in the frequency of operation. You have a 50Hz grid, we are at 60Hz. I suspect your fan would run about 16% slower. Not sure if that would contribute to increased heating in the motor due to flux losses or not.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Oldman

arcs_n_sparks
Again thanks for your knowledge and sharing it with us.

If the fan is running 16% slower  it might work The production fan is doing 35 cfm. You might get by with 28-30 cfm as that is about with this prototype is putting out. However, any less and I don't think it will work. There are larger fan blades that can be used on the inside of the box that will fit this motor, but then you will lose one rack. If you install the fan below the V pan I do believe there is a good chance of smoke then coming back out your generator. [:(]

I still believe that on your side of the pond you can get everything that is needed. Shade Pole motors are common. We have them here for 220 Volts but two things. One that just came to us from Sparks is the HZ difference and the other is I cannot find one with a 2 inch shaft. You need a 2 inch shaft.

This is the style you are looking for: A C-frame.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

This may not help but when I was in the service and in Germany everyone had transformers and they were avaliable at all the PX's over there.  Depending on what you had some were as small as a 5x8 box with a 110 plug in on one side and a 220 cord that came out of the other side that went right into the plug in.  Had them for everything we took over.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Arcs_n_Sparks

BigSmoker,

No issue with the voltage conversion. I think the challenge in this case is the difference in frequency between the U.S. situation and the European position. Toasters and hair dryers do not care; in this situation, the RPM of the motor is is in question.

Now Oldman is rendering (so to speak [8)]) his view on the potential for reduced fan speed. Sounds like a Beta test is in order...[:)]

manxman

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the input, sounds like there may well be two possibilities to crack this over on this side of the pond!

I need to give some thought as to which way is best! Certainly don't want to lose a rack when I am smoking, that's for sure!!

Manxman.
Manxman