Computer Experts .......... I NEED HELP!

Started by classicrockgriller, December 04, 2010, 08:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Smoking Soon, My wife did not know that and hit no.  And we got an especially virulent strain of that Malware.  For a number of days I tried a number of things to counteract it, but it kept on taking control of my machine.  Even to the point that I could not use Restore.  I could limp along in Safe Mode, and tried to download differing remedies.  Even got directions of how to get rid of the crap manually, but would not let me do that either.  I'm an avid believer in Spy Sweeper.  Bought a fresh DVD of Spy Sweeper and installed while in Safe Mode (If I remember correctly).  I was foiled in my attempt at downloading a copy of Spy Sweeper - so had to buy the DVD.  Solved it for awhile now.  Most of the problems I've had with my machine has been with bad spyware and bad adware.   Most virus programs don't seem to be very effective counteracting that stuff.  At work, we utilize Microsoft Security Essentials and have had pretty good luck with it - at some point in time, we've used most programs - free and paid and usually don't have much luck with any.  Some don't work on spyware and adware, some don't keep up with new viruses very well, and almost all somehow interfere with the functioning of the computers - slowing them down unmercilessly and or not allowing certain things to occur.  All these things are not necessarily the fault of the software - MS is constantly (I'll use their word) upgrading ( My word is different and only has 4 letters in it - as in fixing their crap on my time).  And it seems, on at least my machines, the MS upgrades play havoc with our virus software. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Slamdunk

When I got "Thinkpoint" I tried CTRL ALT DEL, but no go!! Two more days until my new computer arrives - can't wait!

mybad

CRG if ya have any future problems take some time and read through this forum http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup just follow the steps provided http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13616 and most people can rid there comp's of most stuff.

Really in the end it would be smart to learn how to reformat your computer. Get a external hard drive, back your important stuff up to it regularly, and when disaster hits, and it will, just reformat, and your comp is just like new.

If you do online banking, or online purchases, you should change your passwords from a known clean comp, just to be sure. There are plenty of instances where people think they rid there comp of nasties , and just continue on, and suffer later.

You need a good Antivirus, firewall, keep up up with your Operating systems updates.

Good luck to you

MB

classicrockgriller

I reformated wifey puter not too long ago, but she didn't have much to save. it was kinda easy.

Quarlow

well I will try safe mode and see if I can get by this fracken thing. This virus has really messed me up.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.