Computer Experts .......... I NEED HELP!

Started by classicrockgriller, December 04, 2010, 08:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I was having fun in a post the other day and was going to translate some english to french

and I went to a web site that does this and I got hit with the "Internet Security Suite Virus".

I've been doing some reading on it and it is a virus that directs you to a company that sells

you the solution to remove the virus. (They need to be casterated.) ;D

From what I have read, it is not really a malicious virus, just a nuisance.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PS. It somehow by-passed my virus protector.

punchlock

Smokin Soon

Some of those are quite difficult to remove. I usually use the system restore to go back to a date before it happened. If it is a really nasty one, it will have blocked system restore. If that is the case, boot up in "safe mode'" my tapping th f5 key a few times at startup and chose "safe mode".

SouthernSmoked

Sonny did you try opening up in safe mode and locating the file?
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

BuyLowSellHigh

Most AV providers have a stand alone removal tool downloadable from their website, along with instructions, for removing that trouble maker.  Which AV program do you use ?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

classicrockgriller

BuyLowSellHigh

ADH

I'm in I.T. go to http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and download the free version.. install it from safe mode and run it.  good luck

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: ADH on December 04, 2010, 09:35:21 AM
I'm in I.T. go to http://www.malwarebytes.org/ and download the free version.. install it from safe mode and run it.  good luck

Sonny this is the one I was telling you about last night. It works! You should give it a try.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

SoCalBuilder

Quote from: SouthernSmoked on December 04, 2010, 09:37:02 AM
Quote from: ADH on December 04, 2010, 09:35:21 AM

Sonny this is the one I was telling you about last night. It works! You should give it a try.

CRG - This is the same program my computer supplier installed for me when I was inflicted with this 'ransom-ware'. It's enough to piss off a guy, for sure! Best of luck.

Slamdunk

I got hit with "ThinkPoint" last Saturday. Used Webroot to quarantine it and things seemed to be OK, but then Sunday my computer crashed with a "fatal error" message. Coincidence??
Had a fellow come out to see what he could do, which wasn't much. So, my new computer comes Wed/Thurs.

Didn't want to have to buy a new computer at this time, but my old one was 7 years old, but with upgrades. So I guess it was about time.

Hopefully I will be able to retrieve my data - including all my recipes!! - from the old hard drives.

KevinG

I don't know if you've got a Frys Electronics store by you, but they were able to recover my files after a fatal error and the blue death screen.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ADH

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 04, 2010, 08:52:05 AM
Some of those are quite difficult to remove. I usually use the system restore to go back to a date before it happened. If it is a really nasty one, it will have blocked system restore. If that is the case, boot up in "safe mode'" my tapping th f5 key a few times at startup and chose "safe mode".

actually it's F8

Wildcat

Sonny,

I got hit with a similar virus a few months back by a similar company. The first thing it did was to disable the abilities to get rid of it or even stop it. I have Norton Corporate Antivirus and the virus shut it down. I had to take it in for the pros to fix. They got everything running again but could not delete the virus so it was simply quarantined instead.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

BuyLowSellHigh

There are a number of viruses like that that basically defeat the AV software ability to remove them.  That's where many of the standalone removal tools come in. They run as a separate program from the usual AV program you have installed and can often get around the virus or trojan's block.  Best way to run them is usually to do it in Safe Mode.

Another way to approach it, if you have the ability, is to mount the infected drive as a data drive, and then without ever opening anything on that disc scan it from a separate system installation.  A couple of months ago I snagged a rootkit virus.  Kaspersky spotted it right away, but it could not be removed so long as the disc was active as the system drive (because it was installed within the boot sector).  Moved the infected disc to a data drive, and the same AV software from a separate system installation found and removed it in about 60 seconds.