• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I'm going to tick off the Puritan's Now~~~!

Started by Oldman, July 24, 2005, 06:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Took some of that brisket I did. Place it in a soft, but quality hoagie roll. Added a little salt and then a little A-1 steak sauce. Then add more A-1 sauce as a dipping sauce.

There was just short of 3/4 inch of meat in the sandwich....  Good Night Ms. Moses.... thought for sure I was either dead or eating God's lunch. First I got the taste of the bread and A-1 then the light smoked flavored beef jumped in... Oh my.... what an experiance in the mouth.

Few things get me to a-going at my age... but tomarrow I'm off for another brisket to age.

Man O man been a long time since I've tasted a "steak" sandwich in this catoagory. WOW!!!! And thanks all for giving me reason to try out my first brisket.

I know I have shared a lot with you all, but don't kid yourselves... it has been a wonderful 2-way street.

Much Thanks Again~~

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

I've tried brisket in many sandwich combinations, but it's funny that I never tried A-1 sauce. That sounds good. I'll have to try it next time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

car54

Olds,

Your teasing all of us with your brisket. I have only done one and it did not turn out too good. I'll have to do some rethinking.

BigSmoker

Never though about a-1 either.  Worth a try one time at least.  A properly smoked brisket can definitely make some fine meals.  I usually load mine up with some find of rub heavy with salt and pepper nothing to fancy.  For the coffee heads a rub that is coffee base is really good as well but definitely not for everyone.  I'm glad you are enjoying the brisket Olds and the aging just makes it that much better.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">I'm glad you are enjoying the brisket Olds and the aging just makes it that much better.
</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">That is the problem now... I have to wait another 4-5 weeks for the meat to age. [:(]

Now for those who cannot age their own if you find a local butcher, pay him for the whole brisket I bet we will age it for you. If not find another butcher. Just make sure to use a permanent marker and write on the outside...Sold to *your name* And add your phone number and date you will be by to pick it up. Just check with the butcher to make sure his box is not to cold. 34 F is about the lowest temp you want it at.

car54,
Of all of the things I've done this brisket besides being time comsumming is one of the more simpler things I've done.

Just a medium coat of kosher salt and fresh ground up tellicherry black pepper corn.

The fat I trimmed I placed on the top rack and let it drip down on the meat.

Make sure your bradley is at 205-210 degrees. (Mine was holding at 207F when I place in the meat.)

I lightly smoked it 7 pucks Oak.

At the 4 hour mark I removed the fat, changed out the water bowl and wrapped the brisket in a foil that created a "boat" so the juices would not escape.

Continued for another 8 hours (still hold around 207 F)

Here is where I did something different. My passive oven for this size was being used. So for one hour before I removed my brisket I pre-heated my oven to 170 F.

I slide the brisket carefully out of the bradley, rack and all onto a flat sheet. Open the foil up added a little apple jucie. Close it all back up

Opened the oven and place a very heavy towel on the oven rack. Place the brisket---still on the bradley rack and that flat pan on the towel. I then wrapped the towel up around the meat. Close the door and turn off the oven.

2 hours 15 minutes later and I was in meat heaven.

Things I see in my mind that can go wrong with a brisket are.
1. Cooked to hot; to fast.
2. Meat was exposed the full cooking time to the direct air (no foil)
3. You got a brisket with a meat grade of known as Select. Select has two levels: a plus level(+) and a minus level(-)grade. (This is generally what is in supermarkets.)

For that matter when I was looking around I found one supermarket that was selling an  utility grade brisket! Also known as Standard Grade! (YUCK!}

Now most don't know but utility grade beef is produced from older cattle. It lacks natural tenderness and juiciness and will not have near eoungh fatting. While utility grade beef is normally ok for boiling, stewing and as ground meat (some dishes)--it does not get-er-done when roasting.

The brisket I used was Choice Grade Number 1 Also known as Choice +.

You ready for this???? It was only about 65 cents more per pound at the butchers than the Select I found at the supermarket...go figure that one out.

Here is a good reference page to bookmark. Beef Quality and Yield Grades

Give a brisket another try. If you had tasted my brisket you would have asked where my Mother lives so you could go get the left-overs she took home. [:D]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MWS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Just a medium coat of kosher salt and fresh ground up tellicherry black pepper corn.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Olds, If you want some great salt to go with that fantastic tellicherry black pepper corn, try to find Himalayan Crystal salt. Its a natural un-processed salt that's pink in color and contains 84 minerals. I purchased a salt mill (ceramic grinder) recently to grind this stuff. It goes great with the Tellicherry.

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

MallardWacker

A-1 Sauce, OLDS what da???.  I must try againg, to me thats where your success started.  Did you make a link to your aging process???

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

Duck Man ageing is simple.
1. Only purchase a whole item i.e. full brishet packaged in the original cryovac pack. Look for the grade stamp as only the packing house can put that on package. I don't suggest re-vacuum packages from a butcher.

2. Place it in a refrig and try to keep the temp 36-37 F degrees. Below 34F and the ageing process stops. Your target time is 21 day to 35 days... I went past the 30 day mark as the fat look a little to white yet. I know I don't have to say this but... make sure to leave the meat in the package. This is wet ageing.

3. Only purchase a Choice grade #1 also called Choice + (plus) if you want the best end results.

At this link: Aged Meat you will get an idea of what to expect after 30 days. It is a sirloin I did.

Hardest park of this whole deal is the waiting... [:D]

Olds

bsolomon

Olds,

I didn't ever picture you as an off-the-shelf sauce kind of guy.  I certainly would have expected a recipe for a home-made steak sauce involving at least 20+ ingredients and a 6 month aging process (taking place in oak barrels that you fashioned by hand no doubt).[:p][:p][:p]  Perhaps this would be the birth of "A-2"?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bsolomon</i>
<br />Olds,

I didn't ever picture you as an off-the-shelf sauce kind of guy.  I certainly would have expected a recipe for a home-made steak sauce involving at least 20+ ingredients and a 6 month aging process (taking place in oak barrels that you fashioned by hand no doubt).[:p][:p][:p]  Perhaps this would be the birth of "A-2"?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Barry this is the first good laugh I've had today... ya I cheat sometimes...as in  why not?  I don't need to re-make the wheel to enjoy an item... A1 sits good with me...ya I thought about trying to make it myself...but to what end? As my Momma always said...why stir the fudge once it has set?

Thanks for the laugh. [:D]

Olds

car54

Olds,

They best deal that I can get on briskets is from Sam's. They are cryovaced but I believe that they might have been frozen. Does that matter. I also think that they are not whole and I don't recall a stamp on it. What type of prices are you spending on a brisket and what is the weight?

Thanks, Brad

Oldman

If there is no grade stamp on the wrapping then someone has re-packaged the item. Normally this is done so a person will not know what grade of meat they are paying for. Also you have to consider if you are going to be ageing it just how well was it re-vacuumed packed. If it is a loose vacuum package I won't use it. Period.

This last brisket that I got was 12 pounds and somewhat already trimmed. If I remember correctly it was $2.95 per pound. It was a Choice Grade #1 also called Choice Grade + (plus.) I bet about the best you will get at Sam's is a Select grade. I think there are two levels of Select.

Without knowing the grade of beef you are purchasing the out come is too uncertain. I suggest you find a private meat store and spend a few bucks more to get a quality item, or otherwise you are more than likely to end up not happy again.

When the new Walmart Super Store came to my part of town I check out their meats. Every one of them had been forced marinated. Ya their prices were cheap. Having never been to Sam's I can only wonder about them.

Once fresh beef is frozen it is not a good idea to re-freeze it.

Olds

BigSmoker

The Sam's here will vary with different companies they deal with as far as meat goes.  By far the sorriest stuff I have seen there is National beef.  Pretty good stuff is Excel and the best by far is IBP.  My butcher can get me prime if I want to pay for it but a good choice is normally what fits the bill.  Now the wagu I bought before is classified as ultra prime and it was, man what a cut of meat.  Ordered it from henry's butcher block out of Texas.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Oldman

Hey Jeff lookie at what I just found... Kobe beef brisket just $2.95 per pound. Man it dose not get any better than Kobe beef IMO. This place is price somewhat lower than most for Kobe Steaks... with 1 pound of Rib Eye going for only $32.00 per pound. From reading the information I'm sure their beef line is not from Wagyu beef line you had, but I bet it still is some finest beef in this country.

I'm going to give them a call tomarrow they listed their number: 816-628-2099 and double check on the pricing and to find out if the meat is cryopac. The kicker I see is there is a $14.00 charge for the container if your order is under $400.00. Plus shipping and handle etc. I wonder how many briskets I can get into a container LOL~!

http://www.gamemeat.com/kobe.html

Olds

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by car54</i>
<br />Olds,

They best deal that I can get on briskets is from Sam's. They are cryovaced but I believe that they might have been frozen. Does that matter. I also think that they are not whole and I don't recall a stamp on it. What type of prices are you spending on a brisket and what is the weight?

Thanks, Brad
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I have never seen a whole brisket at Sam's. They usually just have flats. The last time I was there they only had half-flats. I can't recall the price.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)