• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I like these things

Started by Caneyscud, December 05, 2010, 03:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Cool weather = comfort food

Smoke some oxtails 1 hour.  Stick in crockpot with onions, mushrooms, beef base MMMMmmmmm

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KevinG

Looks like I'm going to have to chase some tail  ;)
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ronbeaux

Perfecto!

Check out the book by  Fergus Henderson 'The Whole Beast.' It's full of recipes for animal guts and stuff.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Ka Honu

Oxtail soup (prepared Chines style) is very popular in Hawaii and I used to make it regularly, as well as the more European style braised/stewed version.  Then people "discovered" the damn things and the price went from practically nothing to over $3.00 a pound.  Took those dishes right out of my repertoire. 

KevinG

I'm thinking if I did try this, I'd want the end farthest from the connection.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

slrpro02

The closer to the bone the sweeter the meat.

TestRocket

Quote from: KevinG on December 05, 2010, 03:39:36 PM
I'm thinking if I did try this, I'd want the end farthest from the connection.

The brain, tongue, snout or eyeballs? Yuck! I'm all for what in between! Yea and sweet too!  ;D

ArnieM

Can you actually get oxtail anymore?  Or are they cow tails.  I haven't seen many oxen around lately.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

car54

I was just in a new oriental food store last week in Milwaukee, Wi. Their meat section looked rather good. They had pork bellies and oxtail. Some oriental gentleman came up to me claiming that oxtails are the best meat that he has ever had, I'll have to try them.

Brad

Caneyscud

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

Those look good. I love oxtails. I wish I could find oxtails like that in my area. What I generally find are cuts from the tip end of the tail.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

Ox tails are pretty common here and relatively cheap.  I love ox tail soup.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

BuyLowSellHigh

A few weeks ago I made a visit to the B&W Meat Company in Houston, which claims to be the largest meat market in TX.  It's an old-style meat market where they cut from the carcass, and make a lot of sausage.  I didn't see one cryopac the whole time I was there.  The day I was there ox tails were on sale and the people were lined up for them.  As it happened, where I was being served was right next to the oxtail line.  When they got their call (you still take a number) folks would give the attendant their order, some by weight, some by count, they would be asked "how thick", most raised a hand and held up two fingers with a gap indicating thickness.  The attendant would reach into the case in front of me, grab a whole dangling oxtail or two from the dozen or so that were piled on top of each other, each one somewhere between two and three feet in length, and walk them over to a cutter who was waiting at a band saw.  After a sample cut and a showing to the customer for approval, any needed adjustments were made and the order was filled.  Next ... number 89 ?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here