Which wood for Jerky

Started by chooch, December 07, 2010, 01:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chooch

Gonna start a batch of Hi Mtn Inferno and was looking for recco's on what wood to smoke with.

Also if anyone has an opinion on adding some black pepper to the mix to bring that flavor out a bit, unless it already has a ton of black pepper in it.

Thanks

FLBentRider

I added some cayenne and kicked it up a notch! (or two)

As far as wood, I've used apple, maple, oak, hickory...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Sailor

HICKORY...... ;D  I love HICKORY! 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

iceman

Quote from: Sailor on December 07, 2010, 03:17:38 PM
HICKORY...... ;D  I love HICKORY! 

Yep I like it too!! Apple does a nice job but is just a bit less on the tang factor.  :)

chooch

Hickory it is then! I only had 4 lb of deer to spare as a first run. I added some black pepper to the mix and threw in a touch more spice on top of it. Gonna let it sit for 24 + another 12 to 15 before I start smoking. From some posts around here it appears I shouldn't smoke for too long with jerky and since it's thin slices I'm thinking this makes sense so I'm thinking maybe an hour of smoke maybe 1.5 and no more since I want the spice to come through more than the smoke.

I gotta ton of hickory so this is a good thing to use it up on.

I just picked up a couple more kits to try, from sausagemaker, the uncle abes since I've tried that and it's pretty good except I like a bit more heat to it, I got the cajun pepper and the hot as well. Now I just gotta find a cheap cut of beef to jerk and I'm gonna keep rockin' until the snow gets too high on the deck.

Thanks guys.

Indy Smoker