Dummy (STILL) converting the Lang Proofer

Started by dumdum, December 07, 2010, 05:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumdum

Hello all! I'm still working on conversion of the Lang proofer I posted topic about a while back! (Takes me forever to get things done...it's that way with all my projects...but eventually they do come to life)! Anyway...since my last post I completely disassembled the proofer for good cleaning and 3D CAD modeled each individual component part and reassembled them as a 3D CAD assembly. (not the actual proofer..its still laying all over the basement)! I've found for me projects come out better if I take time to 3D them and generate blueprints. It's easier to make changes and alterations on the model and refining it so before doing the real thing. So I have the alterations applied and the model worked around to my suiting from the bottom up all the way to the vent. Once I get clarity on the vent I plan to post the drawings to the forum and make them or the 3D model available to anyone who mite want to use them. So, all I need do is decide on vent design and I can finish up and get to actual construction of the smoker. I'm asking everyone for their thoughts on the best venting. I know there's some construction out there where dampers are used in the vent. My thinking would be an electric damper that could be controlled by the PID and closed down when the smoke generator is off. is this a good idea? Does anyone have suggestions on hardware? I appreciate your help!

TestRocket

Sounds like a huge mechanical challenge from a CAD approach and I can only look at this in its most basic form and offer this idea as something to bounce around. But why not keep the vent as a fixed (not variable) option and control the easiest component (heat) and maybe even humidity with availably electronic controllers? Just thinking out loud? Good luck!   ;D

Mr Walleye

DD

Nothing wrong with puttin' a plan together.

For a bottom vent the smoke generator itself will be adequate. For the top vent I would use a 4 inch with a damper to control it. As far as controlling the damper with the PID I never really spent any time looking at it. Interestingly enough, I just took apart an air to air exchanager for a friend. the problem was the actary motor for the fresh air damper had failed. It was very small and compact... hmmm, the wheels are turning! I'd be interested in hearing about your plans on this.

Keep use posted.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes