Party Appetizers

Started by Caneyscud, December 09, 2010, 01:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Have a Christmas Party for a ministry I'm in (Stephen Ministry) tonight.  Since two other of my team are in the ministry also, I was nominated for doing some of the appetizers. 

2 bacon explosions - rubbed, but no sauce
1 fatty (cheese, pepper, onion) rubbed but no sauce
3 dozen moinkballs - rubbed and will have a sauce of hot sweet bbq sauce/coconut milk
11 Grenades - will have a mexican tomatillo sauce.

Got out my "secret baby".  Haven't seen her in a long time. 

Here are the goodies

Sorry for the pics - but all I have with me today is my iphone.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

pensrock

Sure looks like some tasty appetizers. Have fun at the party.  :)

Tenpoint5

Grenades Caney??? enlighten me please. Sounds like something new to try!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

I haven't seen a crowd like that since I stood inline at the USPS to mail my Christmas Exchange package! And I bet this one smells a whole lot better! Have fun at the party!

hal4uk

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 09, 2010, 02:29:30 PM
Yeah...  WHUT DAT?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Up In Smoke

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 09, 2010, 02:29:30 PM
Please, Please, Please
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

utahsmokin

How do you make though's I have a party Sat.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Utahsmokin!!!!

DTAggie

Waiting on the Grenades answer..................

pensrock

QuoteGrenades

I'm just guessing but I would guess its sausage or ground beef wrapped around something like a hard boiled egg or maybe a whole jalapeno or maybe even an ABT?

Caneyscud

Sorry, I had to go to the party.

Grenades - acquire a nice sized pork tenderloin.  Cut it up into 1" sliced rounds.  In the slde of each round cut a pocket.  Maximize the size of the pocket.  Sprinkle a little rub/spice or some chili powder in pocket and stuff with 1/2 pickled jalapeno (or less), some sharp cheddar and a frozen peeled shrimp.  Wrap with a slice of bacon, making sure the stuffing is well covered.   Secure the end of the bacon with a toothpick.  Sprinkle with favorite rub.  Stick in smoker (225 or thereabouts) until temp is above 160.  Sometimes the last 30 minutes or so I raise the temp to cook the bacon a little crispier.  Last 15 minutes or more, I'll glaze with a tangy sauce of some type.  Grenades because they are about the shape of one and fit in the hand like one.  If you do the 1/2 jalapeno its a delayed action grenade - Jalapeno Morning. ;D ;D  Using the frozen shrimp keeps it from getting overdone.  I like to use a hot glaze.  Sometimes melted hot pepper jelly.  I have also used scallops in lieu of the shrimp.  

edit:  The other way I've made them is figgy.  Stuff them with a couple of dried figs - the dried black mission preferrably - and add some very sharp cheddar, pecans and bacon.  Or use goat cheese - that's good also.  I tried fig and blue cheese one time - but did not care for those.  

A cousin, is what I call a Grenade Diablo.  Take a large fresh jalapeno.  Cut a slit in side.  Take out the seeds and stuff it with shrimp and cheese and wrap in bacon.  

Here's what made up the sauce/glaze I used last night on the grenades

Here is what I dreamed up for the finishing sauce on the moinkballs.  3 dozen vaporized - the women loved them.

iphone pic of one of the Bacon Explosion, the fatty and some of the grenades.  Did not get a pic of the moinkballs finished.

That is not a normal sized pie pan, it's one of those that those large pies from the store come in. 

For the Bacon explosion and the Fatty, I had forgotten to get some Sharp Cheddar at the store so used some Kroger Brand Queso Blanco - a pepper/jalapeno infused white processed cheese product as in Velveeta Mex but white - I was too lazy to get out to the store.  Also put in some purple onion and the big red sweet pepper you can get at Sams and a handful or two of crumbled bacon.  The "cheese" unexpectedly almost overpowered the fatties.  I've got mixed feelings.  It had a very good flavor, but was strong and almost overpowered the sausage and bacon.  

bigcatdaddy

Sounds Yummy!!!!!!!  Gotta try it!!!

SnellySmokesEm

The Apps look great!  I have been thinking about what apps to do for new years and now I know!  Moinks and Fatties! 
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

OU812

All them BACON wrapped goodies look GREAT!

I see your still hiding your pellet pooper at work.  :D

Caneyscud

Quote from: utahsmokin on December 09, 2010, 07:30:41 PM
How do you make though's I have a party Sat.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

The moinkballs are just meatballs from the store wrapped in half of a bacon strip, sprinkled with rub, smoked and glazed.
Fatties are breakfast sausage roll flattened with goodies inside.  Wrapped back up, rub sprinkled on, and smoked.
Bacon Explosion is a fatty, with bacon inside and a bacon weave around. 
Grenades explained above.

few pics of fatties.

Caneyscud

Quote from: OU812 on December 10, 2010, 07:05:29 AM
All them BACON wrapped goodies look GREAT!

I see your still hiding your pellet pooper at work.  :D

(sheepishly holding my head down)

YEP!