• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Butts for all

Started by GusRobin, December 10, 2010, 07:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Somehow I was volunteered to bring the pork to the Christmas luncheon at work. Got about 30 people so I figure 42 lbs of butt should do it. So five butts getting ready to go in for the night. I will cook them today and tomorrow and then freeze until Friday.
Decided to mix them up and used the following:
1 injected with Cajun Injector Hot and Spicy butter and rubbed with "Cajun Shake".
1 with Cajun Injector lemon butter garlic and salt lick clone rub
1 with A-1 slather and salt lick clone. Why A-1? 'cause it was there and handy
1 with CT slather and Weber N'Orleans Cajun rub
1 with Spicy Brown mustard slather and Lysanders Pork Rub
(the cajun injector stuff, Cajun shake and Lysanders were part of my Christmas exchange present (thanks again Camoghost))

Butts rubbed and ready to go in with 4 hours of hickory

All stuffed into the OBS

When I cook butts, brisket, or chuck I like to put a cuople of small bread pans on the bottom rack to catch juice and use it when I reheat the meat. I wanted to cook a 12 lb brisket but since I only have four racks it was either butts and brisket and no juice; or butts and juice and no brisket. I elected for the latter so this baby will need to wait until the butts are done tomorrow.

Couple of observations: I didn't have time to let the butts get to room temp so they went in when they were about 43*. It was about 45* outside temp. Preheated the cabinet to 250*. Opened to add the meat and by the time I had it all set inside the cabinet temp dropped to 143*. Having the dual elements helped and the cabinet temp was back up to 230* within 25 minutes.
With all the meat stuffed in I had problems with interference with the door temp probe. Since I have the PID and the maverick I have been meaning to cut it off. Will do it soon after this cook.

Will post more picks tomorrow morning.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah Gus, that's a load of butts!

I thought I was looking at something that CRG was doing.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

hal4uk

Quote from: SouthernSmoked on December 10, 2010, 08:11:21 PM
I thought I was looking at something that CRG was doing.
C'Mon Man!!!!  You know Sonny wouldn't leave any breathing space around that lower butt!!!
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

DTAggie

Go big man!!  How are you keeping track of which butt is which butt?

I need to get down to see CRG.  He ordered all my dual element mod supplies.  Those two butts and brisket I posted on another post  may struggle tomorrow with this cold front hitting tomorrow.  Believe it or not, supposed to be in the high teens with wind Sunday night here in N. Texas.

GusRobin

Quote from: DTAggie on December 10, 2010, 08:44:31 PM
Go big man!!  How are you keeping track of which butt is which butt?

After the second beer I gave up trying. ;D

QuoteBelieve it or not, supposed to be in the high teens with wind Sunday night here in N. Texas.

I believe it, we are supposed to get rain turning to snow tomorrow morining. The snow won't stay long, but it will be cold. Glad I have the Bradley in the little "house".
it a little after modnight, Just changed the water, rotated racks, "cleared" the v tray and it is off to bed. The butt with the temp probe is reading 141* so it'll probably  be about 160ish when I wake up around 8:00.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

DTAggie

I just emptied all the Blue Moon water in my body.  My temp is two sheets to the wind.  Off to bed as son has big wrestling tournament tomorrow.  Has to be at school by 6:15!  Hopefully this thing does not last into the night tomorrow as I need to get home and get my two butts and brisket in the OBS!

GusRobin

Quote from: DTAggie on December 10, 2010, 10:37:09 PM
  Off to bed as son has big wrestling tournament tomorrow.  Has to be at school by 6:15!  Hopefully this thing does not last into the night tomorrow as I need to get home and get my two butts and brisket in the OBS!

Brings back memories of the days when my daughter played club volleyball. Weekends we would leave at 5:30 -6:00 and return at 9:30pm. Unless it was a a 2 day tourney then we would leave Friday at 4:00

jiggerjams

Nice looking butts Gus... you been working out?

classicrockgriller

Left Pensacola yesterday morn at 5 and it was 30*.

Got to edge of Mobile and it was 22* at 5:45.

Keep your Butt warm while you smoke your Butts.

TestRocket

That's a nice load of butts you got there Gus! There's going to be some happy folks at your work!  ;D

GusRobin

Stubborn butts - after 17 hours the butt temps vary from 150* to 167*.  Here are some pics

It is not a clear picture but it is the V tray. As others have pointed out is is important to check the drain on the tray. Here you can see that it is plugged. So when I do overnight cooks, I always change the water and "clean" the tray. I use a long metal spoon (the kind you get when you order a large milkshake at a restaurant). I scoop the grease clumps out of the drain channel that leads to the center hole and make sure the hole is not plugged.

classicrockgriller

They are getting a nice color!

A clogged v-tray = disaster!

Good point Gus.

GusRobin

20 hrs and still in the 160*s. More stubborn than my wife!
Starting to rain and getting colder so I guess I may have to wait until next week to do the brisket.

OU812

Thats some good lookin hunks of pork ya got goin there.

I was elected to do the same thing at work too, and the girls want turkey also.

TestRocket

The color is nice and I believe CRG has an extra v-tray that he can just swap out on big loads and long cooks! Which sounds like a good idea!